Steroidal use in goats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, Feb 23, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I have a doe with aspiration pneumonia who has been on a variety of drugs from the vet.. my DH, a PA, (Physicians Assistant) wants to know if Prednisone would help & if so, how much is recommended.. I can't seem to find anything on the internet, go figure..

She has gurgely (is that a word?) breathing most of the time, her temp has been @ 103 for 5 days now (it was 104) She goes out to pasture with the rest of the gang and is eagerly coming into the milkroom for some feed, which is surprising because that's when she also gets a rectal.. :really

We had started her on Pen-G when the trailer had a flat & we couldn't get to the vet, after 4 days, I was able to talk him into giving me some Naxel and when we finally got her there on Monday (the 18th) they gave her a shot of Draxxin. He said it would be touch & go and that she would do better once her temp came down, but she still seems the same. DH seems to think she needs to be on steroids for her lungs..

ANY ideas at all would be appreciated...

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Dexamethazone is our steroid. When using Naxcel you want to also use banamine to keep scarring in the lungs down. Dex can be used in as little dosage as 1cc per 100 pounds once daily for 3 days and then dosed down to 1/2 cc per 100 pounds for 3 more days. It's dependant on what it is used for, and with what...with Banamine, both being NASID drugs that how we have used it in the passed.

Inhalation pnemonia's are the worst because you are treating symptoms long after getting rid of a virus and a doe is back to 100% in normal viral or bacterial pnemonia.

What would work is if you could rig up some sort of breathing albeutrol for her several times a day. You will have to be patient, continue meds, and hope that she doesn't have permanentaly scarred tissues in her lungs. vicki

3. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

Like with a mask like you do with breathing treatments for kids...sounds like fun ;)

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

The Dex/Banamine/Tetracycline stuff.. do I do this once a day or twice?? Why I didn't think to ask earlier is beyond me..
    and for the breathing treatments.. I'm looking into finding one.. how long should I continue that if I can find one??

Thanks for everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

but yes would think you keep up the banamine and the tetra

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I'm starting to ramp-down the Dex and wanted to know if I'm still supposed to keep up the Banamine.. my DH seems to think that I need to keep it up as long as I'm using the tetracycline.. yea???

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

How is she doing? Once you stop using the banamine, 6 days....if her temp goes up you will know that the antibiotic isn't enough to keep the bacteria at bay while she fights this. So be around about 12 hours after the last shot of banamine to take her temp. But you don't stop the antibiotic until she is 100%. And remember with inhalation pnemonia 100% may be a wheezing asthmatic mouth breather.

You want to use the drugs for as long as they are working, but in the end you also want a goat who doesn't die in 10 days from liver failure from too much drug used.

Everyone can send me their extra ventolin for their breathing machines after they use them on their goats, they just went up $30 today!!!! Vicki

8. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I have a doe who always seems to have a clear snotty nose, no temp, feels fine.....but snores a lot, & almost seems to wheeze. I think she has allergies & maybe asthma. She's way worse while pregnant. Benadryl seems to be of no help, vet RX doesn't help. I've had her on antibiotics with no improvement- like i said no temp so I don't think she's got an infection. I saw a suggestion of breathing treatment above.....is there a good way to do that for a goat? This is my favorite girl & since I have asthma.....I figure I know how she feels.....is there a good way to help her breath?

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I've actually seen her lie down and graze.. :) Though most times she's breathing heavy, still coughing like she needs to cough something up :sigh .. though I don't hear the gurgling like I used to. I know we're not out of the woods by a long shot..

"You want to use the drugs for as long as they are working, but in the end you also want a goat who doesn't die in 10 days from liver failure from too much drug used ."

So.. tomorrow is day 6.. her last shot of Dex AND Banamine right?? but keep up the Tet.. so, if she starts back with a temp 12 hours after the banamine.. it will be a judgment call as to whether or not to keep it up??

I know.. too many blonds here.. ;)

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

were you ever able to get an oxygen or breathing apperatus set up for her?
    even a warm vaporizor under a tent would help I would think using just vicks in it.

11. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Something else you might try is a pinch of AniHist, which is a horse medication antihistamine/expectorant. My vet recommended it to clear the lungs of the preemie kid when I called him for Dex as he was out of town and unable to help me. That, whenever I could hear fluids build up, and antibiotic has kept my doe from coming down with inhalation pneumonia, as her lungs have been maturing.

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

No, Sondra, I never did find one.. I thought of maybe something from WalMart, but I'm afraid I'll screw something up and end up killing her..
    Karen, the AniHist.. is it an injection?
    She's still breathing heavy, and I'm resigned to the fact that she may do that until she dies..
    I think tonight was her last Banamine.. will see how she does. will take her temp periodically to see if it goes up..

Also, when can I start with the feed thru crumbles? I really am just waiting to see her drink and have the water squirt out all those hole's I've been putting in her.. though she does seem resigned to it.. and if she wasn't so enthusiastically jumping on the milkstand and eating still... :/

13. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Stacy, what did this doe aspirate into her lungs??

14. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

15. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Janie, I believe she inhaled an herbal tincture.

Is it too late in the game to start the AniHist?
    I'll be taking her temp later today and every day to see if we've at least got the temp to stay down.. where's the big 'crossed fingers' emoticon??

16. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

AniHist just clears the lungs for easier breathing. If she's still breathing heavily, I'd try it and see if it helps. I look at it like having the fortified B Vitamins on hand - It can't hurt, and might help while the other medications do their work.

17. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Haven't found it yet, so I'm going to have to wait till Monday. Poor baby.. temp is 104.2 and she sounds like crap, but did eat some. I made her an herbal tea (no, I didn't drench her!) with mullein, raspberry, chamomile, peppermint, ginger, some Vit-C and a bit of Aloe Vera juice.. warm of course, and she sucked most of it right up. I also gave her a couple of extra cookies :(

18. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

With the prognosis of aspiration pneumonia not being good, you might ask your vet about giving you some Baytril 100. We saved a young pot bellied pig with Baytril after it aspirated milk into his lungs. It was hot, so we had to keep him in the AC and very quiet for several days. Vet said no excitement or stress, so he enjoyed laying on a big pillow in the cool air!! I'm sure these warmer days with higher humidity is making harder on your doe to breathe. We've used Baytril on calves, when no other antibiotic would work. Just food for thought!

19. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I will be calling him in the morning.. at this point, I'd try anything..
    This morning, she barely ate her food, though did drink, more like lap-up, the tea I gave her. She is only really gurgly on occasion, but is starting to grind her teeth more. She does not feel good :(

So the next question would be.. when is enough, enough..? Or is there really hope that she'll pull through? Having a bad day..... :down

Also wanted to ask Karen, how much anihist would one use if it's 1/2 oz per 1000lbs. She has dropped weight and is probably near 150 now.. I'll have to tape her to be sure..

20. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Stacy, she may have irrepairable damage to her lungs, don't know what the herbal tincture had in it or how damaging the ingredients were. If this has been going on any length of time and she's not improving, it might be best to put her down, even if she did survive, with lung damage, she will always have problems.