Standlee Alfalfa Pellets

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Sep 10, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

The feedstore got Standlee (Idaho) alfalfa pellets in. The pellets look fabulous and no dust in these two bags at least. The bag lists only sun cured alfalfa, but they smell sweeter than anything I've seen before. :? Is there a chance that these have molasses in them and it's not listed?
    I could email the company, but thought someone here might be using them and give me a consumer's perspective.

2. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Good pellets should smell sweet and wonderful. Look on the tag, and find the companies phone number and call them...should be toll free. I do it all the time. If the bag contained molasses, it should be listed or they could be in trouble. Try looking on their website if they have one.
    Anita

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Standlee alfalfa pellets are wonderful! We have used them from time to time (when I get nervous about the upcoming hay season and want to stretch our hay) and have always been pleased with the quality. The goats love them too.

I believe Kaye uses them too. If y'all are going to take our alfalfa pellets from Idaho, what will we do?! :)

Camille
    P.S. I don't think there is anything added - just a sample of the quality of hay we are spoiled with up here!

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Great pellets! Have yet to get a dusty/dirty bag! No. Nothing but alfalfa.
    Heck, I think the hay comes from Tracy's *front yard*. Maybe she will lead Agatha around in the pasture and send some of her production our way. :lol

5. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

These are great pellets, fresh, green, great smelling, nothing added, just steam pressed.

I only wish I could order them in bulk directly from Standlee. I called a couple of weeks ago. They indicated if I could take 22 tons then could drop ship it to me, otherwise its back to the feed store buying it for $12/bag.

6. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Wonderful! The alfalfa hay around here is horrible this year (or shipped in and expensive) so we are going to go with grass hay and really concentrate on more alfalfa pellets. Excellent time to have a better pellet available!

7. We do not use anything but Standley pellets. Any other alfalfa pellet around here looks gray and I just don't have the money to waste on bad pellets. The goats like them alot. I swear they'd be happy eating just those. Tammy

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Our feed store carries the Standlee pellets, which I use if I run out of the ones I get from my hay guy. His are just as good and cost half as much. When I buy directly from him, I cut out the middle men. Kathie

9. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Love them!! I have been using Merry Mixer for the last several months (since you all told me about pellets) and thought they were fine...Well, I picked up the Standlee yesterday..WOW...they are so much nicer, less dust, they just look and smell so much better. Of course, the big test was the girls...they loved them. I am thrilled that we now have them in TN.

P

10. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Great pellets and one of my favorite yummy scents, right up there with fresh ground coffee.

11. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

LOL, yep we have sold to Standlee before :) Not this year though -- the dairy buyers were paying top $.

They absolutely have some of the best pellets on the market. No, they have no molasses in them -- just excellent hay.

One other company I would highly recommend if you are further south is Lakin Pellets. They are based out of the Phoenix area, and have quite a few different pellet mixes -- http://www.ker.com/tmbr/lakin/products.html
    We used these when we lived in Phx, and they are excellent. Their site indicates that they deliver into Texas too.

Tracy

12. shawhee

shawhee Member

I can vouch for Lakin Milling. They are wonderful we used them for years. I wish I could get them consistently here in Texas, but not always. I did not know you used to live in Phx. I grew up in AZ. Small world.

Shawna

13. Wonder if all the 'Ike' problems will cause Standlee to up their price. Tammy

14. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If they do up their prices, they are just trying to take advantage of people. Most of those good hay pellets are made here up north where we don't have hurricanes. Kathie

15. yeah I know but they rose the last time gas prices went up. Ours went up by 30 cents, gas that is, I looked today.

16. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

We don't have hurricanes, but we do have drought, freezes, and ever-rising costs.....

Those hay pellets aren't cheap to make this year. Hay prices are at an all-time high right now, and they are having to shell out more $$ for their hay supply to make them. Our costs to put up just our 500 acres went up by $2400 this year. (fortunately for us, we got top $ for our hay from the dairy broker - it's majorly high octane)

The major thing for you guys down south are the transport costs to get them to you :(

Tracy

17. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Just like nearly everything that is bought in a store....it has to get there some way. When the price of oil go up so does everything else.

18. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Yep, lived there for 13 years, and I still miss it. Oddly enough, I lived only about a mile away from Jonathan Bland of Pearl Valley Alpines too! Sheesh, think of how far ahead I could have been by now, lol!

Nah, at the time my world was all about endurance riding my Arabians. I think of all my trails in the Superstition Mtns and Usary Park....I miss it a lot. Miss all the equestrian events we did every week -- there was always a show, a gymkhana, a cutting practice, a team sorting....all within a 20 min haul of home to boot. And ohhhh the Scottsdale show every February -- a chance to rub elbows with the bigwigs!!!

Tracy

19. shawhee

shawhee Member

I dont miss the heat. And it has grown so much and there are so many people. But I do miss the great alfalfa we got there; and miss the all year activities. I grew up there, and yes there are always horse events going on. We were into the rodeo scene. Still will be once in ID, as my daughter does H.S. rodeo.

She is trying to figure out if she can ride through the winter or not. Some people are saying yes, some are saying no. She is loving life up there. And honestly I cant wait to get back on the west coast where the alfafa seems to be the best you can find. And you can actually maintain a small pasture - Texas drought has killed everything.

Shawna

20. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

You know, I never minded the heat at all. I remember we'd just try to be back from rides before 9-10 am, when the temp would go to over 100F!

Where is your daughter at in Idaho??? It really does vary spot to spot. There is no way you could ride all winter where I am -- but 40 minutes south of me you can!

Tracy