Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I am stuck in a quandary of sorts.
I really like the Nubian, and am currently on a waiting list for a standard Nubian doeling. But I'm thinking about the price. She is $450, which I thought was a bit much. Then I heard that some purebred Nubians can range from $150-700! The parents are registered, as well as the doeling herself, which would explain the expense. The dam has good udder conformation.
Then I was thinking about the Nigerian Dwarf. Do they come cheaper, but still have good milk lines and good conformation? I know, obviously they produce less milk. But I'd like to know everyone else's opinion about their experience with Nubians vs. Nigerian Dwarf.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
106 Posts
Hey again! I do not happen to have any experience with Nubians, but I definitely do with Nigerian dwarfs. I definitely can’t say NDs do come cheaper cuz they really don’t even tho there smallerI had gotten a registered Nigerian dwarf buck a little while back, $800, but that is not at all expensive for what he is going to give me in the future.. his dam has a very nice well attached udder and he has really nice lines and good confirmation in the background. And besides that for how small they are, if there udder is really nice and has good milking lines they can produce quite a bit! But probably most likely not as much as bigger goats..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey again! I do not happen to have any experience with Nubians, but I definitely do with Nigerian dwarfs. I definitely can’t say NDs do come cheaper cuz they really don’t even tho there smallerI had gotten a registered Nigerian dwarf buck a little while back, $800, but that is not at all expensive for what he is going to give me in the future.. his dam has a very nice well attached udder and he has really nice lines and good confirmation in the background. And besides that for how small they are, if there udder is really nice and has good milking lines they can produce quite a bit! But probably most likely not as much as bigger goats..
Thank you! I'm not quite sure yet which breed to get as they both have their pros and cons. I kind of like the Nubians large size, but I also like the blue eyes on a Nigerian. Hmmm...decisions, decisions! 😆

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I raise both, and mini-Nubians. If you're new to milking, Nigerians are definitely easier to train to the milk stand. My Nubians are far easier to hand milk, but they're huge and hard to handle. Mini-Nubians may be your goldilocks goats.
My sister raised and bred Mini Nubians when we lived back in Arizona, so I am actually used to and pretty good at milking (not to pat myself on the back, but....lol) them, but sadly had to sell them because of our move. I personally thought their teat size was kind of small and a bit hard to milk. But I will say, they were perfect ladies when it came to milking. They stayed still so nicely, even after they finished their sweet feed.
Do you think that if I were to train the Nubian to behave on the milk stand at a young age, and get her used to being touched down there, that she would be easy to handle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
  • I personally thought their teat size was kind of small and a bit hard to milk.
  • Do you think that if I were to train the Nubian to behave on the milk stand at a young age, and get her used to being touched down there, that she would be easy to handle?
Nigerians' teats are a real inconvenience for hand milking, but their body size makes it much easier to train to a stand. They have a phenomenal udder capacity for their size, but teats the size of a cat's. I value manners over teat size. Anyhow, YES:love: if you were to stand train a Nubian doeling, I'm sure she'd be a dream. Start early!

As I'm sure you know, goats are herd animals, keeping them happy and healthy usually means having more than one. You could always have one of each ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just saw all of your posts on the Goat Spot. I think a Nubian is what you're looking for, and I'm sure you'll be more than happy with one from the last doe you posted, especially if she throws those gorgeous dapples again next year.
Thank you so much! I just put a deposit down for a Nubian doeling from the doe pictured above. The breeder said it is almost guaranteed that she'll be covered in dapples and moon spots!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can tell you 100% that Nigerians are NOT cheaper than Nubians! IF they are registered OR registerable ND's range from $500 to $1500 average price. Depending on pedigree, confirmation and milk production records whether from the actual goat your purchasing OR from the goat's parents pedigree marks....Dam has *M amd or Sire has his *B.which both prove that the parents produce really high-quality milk so your doe has the likelihood of being an excellent milk producer which automatically brings her value WAY up...especially if she is in MILK or pregnant when purchased she could EASILY be worth $800 to $1500 OR MORE depending on pedigree. Goats are not cheap. Some people low ball their prices which ruins the market prices for serious breeders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts