SPF of oils

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Narrow Chance, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Does anyone know where I can find the SPF value (sun protection factor) of the usual oils or butters used in making soaps, lotion, or lip balm?
    I've did a google.. and go way more info that I wanted. I can't seem to get specific enough :sigh
    Though maybe some of you have ran across this info.

Thanks in advance!!

2. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Are you looking for this so you can sell with a claim of SPF??? Unless you have everything completely tested by a pro dealing with such matters you can't make such claims anyway. I know that Unrefined Shea is said to offer some sun protection, but really you can't totally say what the SPF value of a finished product is because you are adding stuff to it most of the time (Like with Shea I add fragrance, which would reduce it's SPF value.

Titanium dioxide and zinc are often used for SPF protection, but there's really no way to know the SPF value of your products unless you pay the big bucks.

I wouldn't go there myself...

edited because I can't spell this morning!

3. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

No.. I was not going to make any claims... I'm aware of the regulations.. I just wanted to know for myself.
    I am one of those people who suffer from several kinds of skin cancer.. and have been known to be called 'The Hat Lady'... sooooo... that be the reason I was asking.

I am aware of TD having SPF's.. just wondered if anyone had any info on the oils or butters.

Thanks!!

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Rett I had looked into this because I wanted to have an SPF face cream for use after my foaming face wash and the weekly scrub I am making. I got some info from the archives on soapdishforum.com well the new url I don't remember.....Vicki

5. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Thanks Vicki !! I'll go take a look !

6. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Thanks Sondra... some really good info!!