Soybean and beet pulp questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dover Farms, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Okay, so we finally found a feed mix that everyone likes(okay...not like...LOVE!)! :woohoo We've been making 40lb. batches to make sure everyone continues eating it before we have the mill make a 500lb. batch. It's 12lbs. rolled oats, 12lbs. cracked corn, 6lbs. Dairy Goat Power 36% Concentrate, 6lbs. roasted soybeans, and 4lbs. boss(doubled to fill in for molasses). With the boss doubled it was a little higher in protien than planned and we reduced it to 2lbs. this morning.

My question is....are the soybeans okay? I've had people tell me they are good and then I've had people tell me to just plain stay away from them. And for beet pulp...my Mom read an article saying not to feed it to your bucks and wethers. It said it will increase their risk of UC...is that true? We stopped feeding our boys beet pulp and they loved the stuff.

Oh and I did do a search on both of these but didn't find the answers I was looking for.

2. ali923

ali923 New Member

What is dairy goat power 36% concentrate?

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I don't feed grain of any kind to my bucks except when working in rutt. at that time I feed beet pulp as it is in my grain mix. I however don't feed soybeans

4. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

The concentrate is from ADM Alliance Nutrition. It's a pellet.

Sondra, do you even have a pellet in your feed? Would you recommed not feeding anything with soybeans? I just wondered, we are trying to figure out whether or not to leave the beans in the mix. The concentrate has to stay...that is why they like this feed so much.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I feed
    100lb whole oats
    100lb steam rolled barley
    25 lb cracked corn
    25 lb BOSS
    20 lb dry beet pulp

Babies either get a meat goat pellet or the same mix above with a calf mana knock off (which is soybean) and the boys in rutt etiher get the same mix above or a goat meat pellet.

everyone gets alfalfa pellets either free choice or at least 3 lbs per day per goat.

6. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

What could I use in place of the barley?

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have also used just whole oats and beet pulp with sunflower oil sprinkled over
    No noticible difference in the goat at all

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What is the protein coming from in the 35% pellet? Soybeanmeal? There is very little that could boost protein that much, soybeans, cottonseed, and animal byproducts.

I would love to be able to feed roasted soybeans to my girls, but no I would not feed them to my bucks. Soybeans contain phytoestrogens...not a good thing for boys of any species, including baby formulas. We will just now be having soybean baby formula young men having children this generation...will be curious to see what comes from all this estrogen feeding for these infant boys, now men having kids. Vicki

9. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Here are the ingredients for the concentrate: Plant protein products, processed grain by-products, calcium carbonate, salt, molasses products, monocalcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, thiamine monoitrate, zinc amino acid complex, roughage products, sodium selenite, magnesium oxide, ferrous sulfate, colbalt carbonate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, manganous sulfate, zinc oxide, zinc sulfate, calcium sulfate, mineral oil, vitamin A supplement, natural and artificial flavor, sodium propionate(preservative), vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement.

Would the concentrate be okay for the boys? With the oats, corn and boss of course. Or no soy at all?

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

bet that this concentrate "plant protiein products" is soybean and or cotton seed
    personally I don't want to feed boys or girls anything that I don't know exactly what it is.

11. NubianSoaps.com

Unless you are feeding ammonium chloride daily, I wouldn't be feeding this amount of plant protein ontop of more soybeans to my bucks. Protein is the most expensive part of dairygoats, and it's simply not needed once grown. Vicki

12. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

For just bucks or does, too? The two bucks that are getting this grain were born this year. Is this feed alright for milking does and kids? Dry yearlings don't get grain here...otherwise they are too fat! lol I think its about 18% feed, which I know is high....we do plan on backing it off to 16% the next time we mix it. I kind of have to keep the concentrate in there, because that's the only thing my yearling really likes. Trust me.....we've been through a lot of different feeds. To find something that not only everyone likes, but loves and cleans out their dish each time its put in front them is.....amazing! :lol AND it has no molasses. :) Our milk production has also went up a bit.

I just wanted to say that I appreciate all your guys help! I know, we have had goats for 7-8 years, but it has really just been in the past couple years that we've really learned anything! People around here aren't much help with goats....especially my first few 4-H advisors. So you all are going to have to bear with me on this. :) I still consider myself new...or at least getting on the right track.

13. NubianSoaps.com

For just bucks or does, too?

We are talking bucks :)

It sounds like a perfect mix for your does. I can honestly say I could feed my milkers ground glass, they come to the milkstand ravenous and dive in, it has to be something pretty awful for them to balk at eating it. Vicki

14. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Thanks!

I swear my yearling is the most picky thing that walks the earth! Everything that we've tried she eats to a point. Rarely finishing what was in her dish....and shoving the rest of it around with her nose.

15. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

egads Vickie, I envy you that mine are so flippin picky. I ran out of the clean oats and had to get oats from the feedmeal, thy were dusty so to cut the dust I dribbled some red cell on top and stirred it in. All but two (nubians) would eat it, those two went a full week NOT eating grain waiting on the co op to get their order in. they wouldn't eat the dusty oats alone either. The year I tried Barley in the mix, and that was the ONLY change, my Saanen herd queen Threw her bucket off the stand. She won't touch barley. Last night we gave them all a Churro, um cinnamon sugar twist thing, and the nubians loved it, the saanens made a Gagging noise like they were trying to Spit and threw the evil thing.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep think mine would eat ground glass too. They especially love barley

17. dq

dq New Member

I think the problem with the beet pulp is that it has high levels of oxalates. However I have found conflicting information regarding whether it is really a problem or only could be in theory. This might be of interest although it is not about goats it might give some insight. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2731814

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

right same thing as why men who have a history of kidney stones shouldn't drink a lot of ice tea. they should be drinking lemonade which contains citrates rather than oxalates as citrates break down the stones or keep them in line :)