SORRY, another sulfa question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Long story short I've been fighting cocci in one of my kids and can't seem to beat it with the corid. Fecals show cocci problems in only 2 out of my 13 kids. One of which has obvious symptoms of unthriftyness. But I just feel like I want to treat everyone with a sulfa. So since I can't get the di-methox 40% that I'm used to using I'm looking at my other options. I know this has been talked about a LOT lately on the forum. Thank you kaye for you post about the powder stuff and I was all ready to order a few envelopes of it..dreading all that drenching by the way. When I noticed all the boluses. Is there any reason not to use the boluses if I can get the math figured out? I just would feel so much better about getting there doses down properly instead of spat out all over with the liquid. Most of my kids are 60lbs now and here is my math..if anyone is brave enough to check it I would be SO grateful!! I used an online calculator for my conversions so I guess I could be way off..and I do not have a brain for math so I'm not sure if I figured it in a logical manner.

75mg/kg sulfamethizone (sp?)

75mg=.08gm
    1kg=2.2lbs

So a 60 lbs goat would need 2.18 grams..right?
    So the Sulmet Oblets are 5 grms each and if I cut them in half that would probably be about perfect. Is this a dumb idea? Should I just order the di-methox powder? This just seems simpler to me, but is there a catch?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sorry the quota for us answering questions about Sulfa's, Corid and cocci in general is up.................:) :)

I am fairly certain that the dosage of the sulmet oblets is 1 for each 50 pounds for 6 days. I know Kaye did the math on it just recently for me for someone else. I totally agree on all the liquid stuff...but don't forget when you mix powder into a liquid use your snow cone syrup from walmart instead of water.

I would just PM Kaye, everyone is so busy this time of year. I will also look it up and see if I kept it. Vicki

3. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Yes! let me know if you still have it. 1 per 50lbs is the label dose for calves so I was assuming it would be different for goats..of course usually it is a stronger dose so that means my math doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Even if it does cost me a little more I'm so much more confident in my ability to bolus than get all that syrup down all those kids!