Sore on lip of doeling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Hi,
    One of my doelings (almost 4 months old) has a strange sore in the side corner of her mouth, on the lip. :help2 (right where a bit rests when in a horse's mouth, on the outside) At first I thought she just had cut it on something, but it is not healing correctly. It's kind of scabby, with a small raw spot in the middle. (It is about the size of a large pea) For the past two days I have been using peroxide in a syringe to flush it. It's too soon to know for sure, but it looks like it might be starting to up. I am wondering #1, what it might be, and #2, what is the best medicine for it? It's not growing, but not healing either. I have some "blue Kote" that says it works for fungus, etc. in case that is what it is, but not to use it near the mouth. Does anyone know of anything topical I can use in that area? It does not appear to go inside the mouth, but I can't seem to keep from getting some peroxide in there when I am flushing, so I assume I need something non-toxic.

I've examined it closely and do not see any bugs, worms, etc. She seems very healthy, great appetite, lively, etc.
    Thanks.
    Anita

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Look up sore mouth. If its that it is VERY contagious.

Patty

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'd have your vet check her to see if it's soremouth. In the mean time, if this were my goat, I'd put some chlorhexadine solution on a cotton ball and clean the sore. I don't think it's fungus and I wouldn't put Bluekote on it. I'd also wash my hands real good after treating her. Kathie

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Wear gloves when you treat it. If you have a cut or something on your hand it could get in your cut and you can catch it if it is sore mouth. Hopefully she just hung it on something and made a little sore. Just watch it for a few days. If it starts to spread and gets crusty looking blisters around her mouth then it is soremouth and yep... highly contageous and will go throughout your herd most likely. I had a doeling last year, I think or year before last, that hung the corner of her mouth on something and made a sore. I hope that is all that is wrong.

5. Anita Martin

SORE MOUTH? Oh my goodness! I have no idea what that is. I'm off to look it up. YIKES! Sounds awful.
    Anita

6. Anita Martin

It might be sore mouth. :sniffle But it IS healing now. I looked sore mouth up online and saw that it can be very contagious and cause death in herds that are not able to recieve good care when they can't eat. I immediately weaned all kids off the lambar yesterday. This is the youngest doe...just 9 days short of being 4 months old, but I think the increased risk of spreading the disease on the lambar outweighs any benefit she'll recieve from getting milk nine more days....unless she stops eating, then I'll bottle her. Everyone else is past 4 months old and eating well. I was just waiting on her to wean.

I saw somewhere online that mentioned putting "tomorrow" on the lesion, so after I flush with the peroxide I also put tomorrow on the sore. It has definately healed quite a bit since day before yesterday, and so far no other goats show any signs. Also, the doeling is eating as normal. Never had this on my property or any of my goats before. I saw where some goats who were infected earlier in life could be carriers, and when a goat gets a cut this bacteria could infect it. Is that right? What is the possibility that just one goat could come down with sore mouth? I'm keeping a VERY close eye on everyone. Hopefully it's something else, but I am trying to prepare myself for the worst. One lady I read about lost FIFTY goats! Of course, they were pastured goats, and wild, so could not easily be treated or examined to see if they were eating or not.
    Oh my. :/
    Anita

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Anita was the story on our forum? Than don't believe it :) :)

No really, the only way you would loose goats to soremouth would be if dams had it on their udders and would not let kids nurse or kids had it on their mouths and they wouldn't nurse or eat. Like Pinkeye, it goes through the herd.

The other doelings have already all caught this from this doeling, I would not wean my kids and add more stress right now as their immunity is so strong they have no symptoms or this just one spot on this one doe. I would put off weaning a little while longer unless you just can't stand it. Once in the scab stage the scabs fall of onto the ground and that is what infects the soil until you have a freeze. No matter what you put on this stuff, it won't go away until it has ran it's course. You can sooth it with anything, so it won't crack and bleed. And sorry but I have never seen just one sore from soremouth so I doubt seriously this is what it is. Vicki

8. Anita Martin

Thanks Vickie,
    Well, hopefully it's not soremouth! Wow, goats sure do have a lot of things they can catch don't they? Yes, we still just have the one sore, and no, I didn't read the story about the lady who lost 50 goats on this forum! They were Boer Goats. Well, the girls will be happy if I give them a lambar bucket tonight. I hadn't thought about the added stress...I just wanted to avoid spreading the sore if it was contagious, and yes, I agree it probably would have spread to everyone already. I'd really like to take her to the vet, to find out for sure, but I work an hour from my home, and get off around 4:30 or 5pm. By the time I can get here to pick up the goat, and get to the vet, which is about 90 minutes away, it is after 8pm and they are closed. Can they culture this thing if I get a swab? I "had" a goat vet closer to me. She lasted one visit to my farm, and then moved to Tennessee! I never got to meet her as I was at work (a friend helped hold the animals) when she came to my farm to pull Coggins on my horses and get a culture on a doe I was afraid had CL, but everyone said she was extordinarily nice and knew a lot about goats. DARN! (Doe did not have CL, but instead the lump on her cheek was caused by an ingrown whisker hair from when I trimmed her.)
    Is soremouth something that will show up on culturing? Can it be detected in a blood sample like CAE or CL?
    Thanks!
    Anita

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No not in blood but yes you can scrape it, but it on a swab or a slide and send it in. You know the old photos of people with shankers...cold sores from herpes, cold sores from syphliss or was it gonarhea...that is what a soremouth sore looks like...crusty around the edge and until it starts healing sort of angry weepy in the middle. This liquid center and the scabs are what is contagious. Now imgine 100 of them in a spot the size of a quarter on their lip...that is soremouth. And horribly they can be the size of a dinner plate (contagious icthima) or just be sandpapery feeling heads that never come to a head in the ears etc...orf.

Yep it is amazing the list of should a coulda woulda's goats can get. Vicki

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Anita, I didn't see it skimming here quick but realize, you can catch sore mouth, It isn't pretty if it gets into a cut on your hand.