sore mouth

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by debrad636, Jul 21, 2008.

1. debrad636

debrad636 New Member

:help2 I have a young buck I got, that has started to have a mouth that doesn't look right. He was normal when I got him. I'm afraid it is sore mouth. What do I do?

2. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Nothing to do but let it run its course if it is soremouth. :(

It MAY be a staph infection, though. We have goats that used to break out in staph pustules around the nose and mouth when stressed...which included right after we moved them to our farm. A few dabs of chlorhexidine a couple times a day dried them up and helped them heal faster.

We have seen VERY FEW recurrences since we got their copper deficiencies straightened out, but that is a whole 'nother topic.

3. debrad636

debrad636 New Member

Is this really contageous? I have him with my older two bucks.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

VERY! If it's soremouth then everyone in your herd that has not been exposed to soremouth, WILL come down with it...despite your best efforts.

There has been several cases of soremouth in Mo. Some just normal, one herd NOT NORMAL. Won't elaborate. Just be careful when bringing in new animals.
    Kaye

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We also had a very abnormal case here. It's been going on for several months, so bad I had to dry her up, her teats cracked and bled each milking. She couldn't open her mouth to eat so was eating a protein block, licking it and drinking water. She is now much better, but still. She has no hair on her tail all scabs.

She was fed cow colostrum as a kid, sold to my business partner, when she got here I didn't even think about quaranteening her or vaccinating her, big huge big mistake. It did away with her show season and our appraisal session. Her immune system crashed and I would never have believed all this from just sore mouth.

Nobody else caught it because every other goat was vaccinated or recieved colostrum from my older does.

It's a very common virus that runs through your herd no matter what you do. It leaves scabs in the ground that will infect future new goats to that pen. No matter how you treat it will go away when it goes away. It's usually no big deal, usually. Vicki