Sore Mouth

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by oldntimes, Mar 19, 2008.

1. oldntimes

oldntimes New Member

:help I need some info....Somehow I got Sore mouth in my herd :mad. It went threw my adults and as you all know, they all healed just fine. My question is now it is kidding season and all my kids are coming down with it. I am so bumbed. Am I going to have to deal with this every kidding season??? For any of you that have this on your propertry it is showing up every kidding season and how do you handle this with your buyers??? I know that once it passes the goats are fine, but I am so afraid my buyers will not understand and decide not to buy from me anymore. I sure would be grateful for any help. I emailed all my buyers that have deposits on kids to let them know, I was under the impression that the Dams would pass on immunity to their kids and i would not have this problem. did I mention I am so bumbed out about this... I will just have to see if any of them back out :(.
    Thanks,
    Colleen

2. The easiest way is just Vaccinate for it. Its not that hard to do and do it when they are YOUNG. I do it at 3 days old. It gives them sore mouth but on the inside of the leg. That way you dont see it.

ken in MO

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Also, do not send these kids out into other herds until the scabs are all cleared up and a good bath before leaving. If you use the pens these kids were in it can live in the soil. Best bet is to vaccinate,young like Ken said.
    Kaye

4. oldntimes

oldntimes New Member

Thanks for the info about vac. That sounds like the way to go. I would never send the kids out with any kind of scabs on them. I talked to the buyers and made it all perfectly clear. I would not want anyone to have to go threw this. Unfortanantly one of te people I bought from did not have the same morals....
    Thanks again

5. oldntimes

oldntimes New Member

Is their something special I should use to bath them with??

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

No not really, just get any lingering virus off their hair,feet,ect... It's just something I did years ago when someone sent me a kid that was suppose to be "clean" and I didn't wash it before putting it in the quarantine pen. Next goats that went in there, broke with sore mouth.
    Kaye

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I got it in my herd when a doeling came back home.. it ran through everyone, some worse than others. I had the Orff kind, where they get it on their bottoms (can you say ouch?) The next year, some of the kids had it, some didn't and since then, I haven't seen it at all..
    All the kids stayed here until they were over it. I used warm compresses with essential oils to help with the pain/inflammation and they healed fine..

8. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

First off we are not big on the vaccinations because it does not protect against all strains of soremouth. We have had does who have had it several times in their lifetime. The vaccine must also be handled very carefully because it is a live vaccine as do animals with the virus because soremouth (Orf) is also contagious to humans. Be very careful not to tattoo when going through a soremouth outbreak as it can spread to the ears as well. Do not sell any kids that have the scabs until they are healed over.
    We had one buyer who backed out on us because they wouldn't be patient and wait for the healing. They said they could not put their herd at risk with previously infected animals. Interestingly they lease bucks every year and through research we found out that the bucks they were using had had soremouth in their lifetime. I think you find that most buyers are understanding and will be patient. It is not a disease that healed animals pass to naive animals, the virus has to be live.
    Tim

9. oldntimes

oldntimes New Member

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference?? One is 6 dollars cheaper, but did not know if they do the same thing.
    Ovine Ecthyma Vaccine (Sore-mouth) Texas vs Colorado Serum Ovine Ecthyma
    Also the lable says, once you open it you have to use it then burn the rest because it is a live virus. So for those of you that Vac. you kids you are buying a new bottle for every kidding???
    Thanks again in advance for your help.

10. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Yep, another downside to the vaccine you end up with more doses than you need. And you have to use it the day you open and rehydrate it, so all of you kids must be born before you can vaccinate the first one that is born. You may have an outbreak before that happens.
    Tim
    Tim

11. slw1

slw1 New Member

What exactly is sore mouth?? How can i tell if my buck has it? New to goats but purchased a buck and now has a swollen lip can this be sore mouth?
    Thanks slw1

12. tioga13

tioga13 New Member

I am curious about sore-mouth also. I had never heard of it before.
    One of our bottlefed doelings has what appears to be a cut under her tongue and when she would suck on the bottle it would bleed and make a bloody mess. In order to allow it to heal I taught her to drink from a bowl. She never seemed to be experiencing any discomfort, though. I assumed she must have somehow bitten the bottom of her tongue and it scraped on her teeth when she sucked the nipple. This doesn't sound like sore mouth, does it?

13. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Soremouth is a contagious desease that causes blisters (sort of like cold sores) on the mouths, nose and heads of goats, sheep and can also infect humans. It is caused by a virus and passed from goat to goat but also lives on the scabs that are dropped to the ground then can reappear in the future to infect non-immune goats.
    Tim

14. tioga13

tioga13 New Member

Thanks for the info...
    Looks like our case truly was just a tongue injury, like I thought. Never heard of sore mouth before; thought I'd better check it out!