Sore Lump in Teet

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Dec 26, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

When I milked out one of my does this morning I noticed a swollen mass of tissue in her left teet. It was very sore, I did milk her out though. I checked it for mastitis and it was neg. Took her temp. and it was 102.5. I noticed it when she was walking just thinking to myself, mmmm that's wierd and when I began to do the whole rigamaroll washing of her udder with warm water she started dancin. Poor thing. I'll tell you what I have on hand, Today & Tomorrow, B vitamins, Bose, and Biomycin. :crazy :crazy :crazy Just when you think you have everything under control :nooo thanks for helpin.

2. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I really have no experience with this in goats, but I do know that when I was nursing my babies, I sometimes got a plugged duct that got swollen and hurt like Heck! This usually happened after an unusually long period without nursing, or wearing a bra that pressed on a duct. What helped was hot compresses, frequent nursing and removing the brazier.
    Hopefully, this tender mass is nothing more serious in your goat.
    Good Luck.
    Anita

3. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Ya Anita, I can relate to what your talking about :( I thought ouch I feel for ya girl.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Would try the warm compresses and massage and milk more often to see if it clears up. A clogged duct is quite possible tho am not sure you would see it with her walking. Did the spot go down any after milking?

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Could she have gotten stung by anything? I've had does who have had swollen ducts and one with a staph lump in her udder, but they didn't seem as painful as what you describe. If you think it's a sting, Benedryl should help. Otherwise, I'd clean it with chlorhexadine and have her tested for staph. The compresses sound like a good idea. I'd also milk her last. Kathie

6. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

How do you test for staph?

7. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Send a milk sample into LSU. Look in Goat Keeping 101 for more info. It's a sticky I think. This is really the only way to know for sure...CMT and other tests are just tools for monitoring.