sore feet from mud??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doodles, Feb 22, 2008.

1. doodles

doodles New Member

We have been getting tons of rain lately. Praise the Lord! I do have a problem with my does getting sore heels and between their toes. They all have a dry barn but I guess they insist on wadding around outside. I have been cleaning the ones that are sore and applying bluekote. I think I may give Pen to them too. Any advice?

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Yep. Same thing here....
    I trim the heck outa' those feet. Like twice a month to keep foot rot from getting ahold. I also dip each hoof in 1/2 bleach 1/2 water and make sure it gets between the toes. (foot rot/foot scald=fungus/bacteria) Anyone that is limping to the point of lameness, gets a big ole' shot of Penn-G. 100+#'s/10-12cc SQ.
    I tried several antibiotics last year.....and got the best results from one shot of Penn-G. (Oh, lord forbid I give one shot of anything)...but that's what I did and it worked!
    I also built up a mound of dirt (SB2) under my outside hayfeeder to get it high/dry. Since I feed alfalfa hay in those feeders....it gets wet, it sets up a heat, it scalds the heels and between the toes. Most of the does that get to the point of limping...will have heel scald.

Hope that helps,
    Kaye

3. doodles

doodles New Member

I know what ya mean about trimming. We stay right on that. My ha is inside the barn . This is primarily heel scald. It is so painful and impossible to keep clean when it is raining 24/7. I am glad to know I'm not the only one:) That sounds bad doesn't it! Well, I will do the Pen thing I guess cause we sure need this rain in Ga.
    Thanks.