sore feet from mud??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doodles, Feb 22, 2008.

1. doodles

doodles Member

We have been getting tons of rain lately. Praise the Lord! I do have a problem with my does getting sore heels and between their toes. They all have a dry barn but I guess they insist on wadding around outside. I have been cleaning the ones that are sore and applying bluekote. I think I may give Pen to them too. Any advice?

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yep. Same thing here....
    I trim the heck outa' those feet. Like twice a month to keep foot rot from getting ahold. I also dip each hoof in 1/2 bleach 1/2 water and make sure it gets between the toes. (foot rot/foot scald=fungus/bacteria) Anyone that is limping to the point of lameness, gets a big ole' shot of Penn-G. 100+#'s/10-12cc SQ.
    I tried several antibiotics last year.....and got the best results from one shot of Penn-G. (Oh, lord forbid I give one shot of anything)...but that's what I did and it worked!
    I also built up a mound of dirt (SB2) under my outside hayfeeder to get it high/dry. Since I feed alfalfa hay in those feeders....it gets wet, it sets up a heat, it scalds the heels and between the toes. Most of the does that get to the point of limping...will have heel scald.

Hope that helps,
    Kaye

3. doodles

doodles Member

I know what ya mean about trimming. We stay right on that. My ha is inside the barn . This is primarily heel scald. It is so painful and impossible to keep clean when it is raining 24/7. I am glad to know I'm not the only one:) That sounds bad doesn't it! Well, I will do the Pen thing I guess cause we sure need this rain in Ga.
    Thanks.