Soon!?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:help

My doe seemed a little bit more vocal and loveable yesterday and today. Does that mean that she will kid in the next 2-3 days? I did not catch any nesting behavior. No mucus. ???
    I'll be a first-time goatie-momma with a first-freshener. I am VERY nervous! How close is she? Due date unknown because of "Uh-oh" breeding. I caught the male staring at the girls on the other side of a 5-line hotwire fence. Did not make note of it cause it did not seem possible for him to have done anything. Boy was I wrong. I don't know when she's due. I thought in march but can already feel loosening in her tail head. I can practically touch my thumb and finger together there. Oh dear! 2-3 days or what? Please help!

2. Truly

Truly New Member

It's hard to say. Is she uddering up?

Being more loveable is a good sign. Mine want to be sure I'm around when the time comes.

There are so many things to watch for and one doe will be different then the next.

Just keep watching for changes. The more that come, the closer it is.

One thing I usually notice is the vulva becoming elongated cuz it's loosening up. The wrinkles around the vulva just kind of loosen into a sloppy soft piece of flesh.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

in her picture she didn't look ready to me
    your guess is as good as mine UMMM guess you get to sleep in the barn :rofl
    Sorry I am laughing because when I got my very first goats I was told they were due any time. That was October and yes they both looked pg so I worried and worried myself sick, hubby finally asked if I wanted him to move the bed out to the 3 sided shelter we had. Well guess what Feb 2 and 3rd they finally had their babies. I abt drove Vicki and everyone here nutts asking abt those stupid does. :biggrin

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I guess that is the curse/blessing of being a first-time momma! lol

Uh oh. She is uddering up a bit. Its been growing the last couple of days. As far as her vulva is concerned...I have a pic taken just today. The link is here if you can take a look and let me know what you think. I just shaved her too, (not very well though. Never done it before.) You'll see flakey skin. Ignore that. I'm treating it.
    You can see that the udder is growing in that pic too. I also just checked up on her about half an hour ago and I thought it was just my imagination but to me at the time I wondered if her vulva didn't look even softer and more enlongated than when I saw it in the morning. :? Oh dear!

This is the link: http://www.freewebs.com/shykidalpines/educationalexperience.htm
    You can see the udder better with a different angle. Sorry.

-Kim

5. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Keep us posted on her progress.

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I have one word for you... RELAX! :lol

Sara

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I just came back from checking on her this morning. She is still very vocal and seems more nervous, kept leaving her food for awhile and calling to me and coming up to me as if to see if I was still around. Her vulva does not seem as enlongated this morning as it did last night. Am I hallucinating or just imagining things last night in my sleepiness? She ate her portion of grain with a passion and kept going over and slurping up the loose minerals before touching her hay. The minerals were out and I filled it up this morning. She literally dived her head into the bag before I could pour it. :lol She is definitely nervous today. No mucus. No tail arching so I think she'll be fine for awhile. Have to go to town now for awhile. I'll check up on her when I get back. :peepwall I'll keep everyone posted if things should progress with her. Bye for now.

-Kim

8. Truly

Truly New Member

You are not hallucinating. I have a girl due 3/31 that can look elongated in the evening and normal in the morning.

Her udder is shaping up but nowhere close to what I usually see at kidding time.

I'm out with my goats three times a day. If something "big" changes between those visits... that's when I start preparing for kids.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep am thinking the same thing Lois bet this girl has at least another month to go.

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

LOL...same thought as Sara...Relax or you're gonna' have an ulcer!!!

Watch the doe for pawing bedding..dig,dig,dig...lay down, up,...dig,dig,dig! It's kinda' like a pregnant woman going into labor wanting to rearrange the furniture. "One sliver of straw out of place...and I'm gonna' rearrange it." :lol
    Kaye

11. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Yawn.... Yep - just relax. Judging from the picture you might have another month to go. Get some sleep.

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I sure hope I have another month. I just checked up on her again. She's fine! Oh she's going to drive me :crazy . :lol

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll keep you posted. ;)

-Kim

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I have 3 Alpine kids who will be FF's in March or so. They already have more udder than your doe, and they tend to "stretch out" under the tail a month ahead. I don't have a picture to show you but IMO she has a couple weeks at least yet. I don't like to quote dates because they usually prove me wrong...but I wouldn't get too worried yet. Every doe is different. Usually with a FF they give you some warning...you will walk in and think "oh my, she's kidding". Usually if you know your goats you will know they aren't acting normal.

14. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you. I'll keep an eye on her and post updates as they come.

15. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

(Tee Hee) Are you sure your name isn't Justine? :rofl HA... sorry Justine, just had to poke a little fun at ya. When Justine first started in goats this is exactly what she sounded like. We all love the young'un. She is a professional goat woman now wit some awsome goaties. :biggrin

16. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Glad to know I'm not the only one that's :crazy. :rofl Just kidding.

-Kim

17. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Exactly what I was thinking Chris!!! Tim you Cracked me up!!! vicki

18. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I wouldn't mind meeting Justine... Sounds like I could learn a lot from her too. :)

-Kim

19. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I'll go tell her to come say Hi to ya. :biggrin

20. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Talk about being nervous - my first kidding experiences were at my friend's commercial dairy when I worked for her. I had helped assist her in pulling kids a number of times. One day, she had to go out of town for supplies and left me in charge of the goats. A little FF Alpine went into labor and I had to pull her twin bucklings by myself. I got them out and then they weren't breathing so I had to swing them. I got everything taken care of, mom milked out and babies fed. Then, she had to haul a bunch of milkers out of state to sell them and I had to kid out some of her best does. Talk about stress :crazy After all, these weren't my goats so I felt doubly responsible for them. By the time my own goats kidded, it seemed old hat to me, but every year, I'd worry if my goats actually got pregnant. I still get teased about that. Kathie