Something wrong with doe...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, May 27, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Capella is a 3 year old nubian. Freshened about a little over 2 weeks ago. Totally normal kidding.

About 8 days ago she began scouring. I attributed it to having had too much browse. I began a treatment of slippery elm, probios and pepto and she was also given another dose of quest (cydectin) - she was wormed after kidding as well. No fever, still eating grain. Her stools became more solid and I continued to keep her on hay, alfalfa pellets and minerals, grain at milking, no browse.

5 days ago she was scouring again, normal temp, but now she really isn't eating too much grain at milking at all. She doesn't care for the local (she has been on hay strike since I can't get the local I used to get). She eats some alfalfa pellets, but not much. Again with pepto and slippery elm. I began treatment for cocci with Corid, today will be day five of treatment. I give her probios daily.

What is weird now is she is constipated, but not. I sat there waiting for her to poop for an hour and she didn't do a thing. Which usually they are pooping and peeing all the time. I'm not seeing scours all down her back end - it is dry, but I went out and found a pile of pellet droppings as well as a pile of plops in the same area as if it all happened at once and it was a lot.

And her cud, she is chewing it, but when she brings it up it seems to be with a massive hick-up or cough or something. Milk production is down by half. she is sticking her head through the fence and getting a little browse and yesterday I gave her a bit more so at least she is eating something! I see no physical signs of bloat anywhere and can hear her rumen rumbling.

Oh, and she has baking soda too. She is up and around and seems totally normal. This is really strange.

So to sum it up-
    Hard time getting cud up
    not really eating anything but a little browse
    Normal Temp
    Strange pooping
    Milk down by half

so what is going on? What can I do more than I have done?

thanks!

2. susie

susie New Member

Bethany
    what about Vit b? It may give her a better appetite if she's feeling off. Also my girls like tree browse if you can cut some and let her have it.

I've had what looks like cocci symptoms in my grown does this week--What the heck?! this is terrible weather for coccidiosis-- the kids are on Di-methox 40 prevention so they're doing ok.
    Susie

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

The moment a goat goes off for any reason I seperate them so this doe is away from the kids and my other doe Madam.
    My kids are on sulmet prevention. It would seem that if this were cocci that today being day five of having 30 cc of corid per day (oh she really hates getting her dose!) she would be done with that...
    I will try the vitamin B shot.
    Thanks,
    Bethany

4. susie

susie New Member

oops didn't see the part about Corid sorry

Susie

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Well my post was so long it's hard to see everything! :lol
    I have the durvet brand vitamin B complex. What is the dose for goats? Do I use the sheep dose of 5 ml per 100#? And it also says to do it IM, should I subq or IM?

6. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I would SQ the Vit b shot ...I also use the fortified B complex vitamin.

7. susie

susie New Member

I believe it's 3 cc's-- they will excrete any that is "too much" SQ I just have the Durvet b too- couldn't get the fortified at my vets when I needed some.

Susie

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just use 3 cc of any B Vitamins. I would give her a BoSe shot and I probably would give CMPK as it can't hurt and could help. incourage the alfalfa more so than the grain. in fact if it were me alfalfa would be all she would get until she is eating well but that is me. Keep taking her temp and I would do it both morning and night. Keep up the probios.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Go to goatkeeping 101 and look at the Famacha pictures which picture best describes her anemia level?

I would use the Quest only after you have fecaled to see if how ever much you are using is working for you. Same with the sulmet on your kids, are your numbers of occysts on fecal low?

It's fine to forge out and use other products, but without fecal you have no idea if what you are doing is working.

When a doe is ill her rumen is upset, she isn't going to put anything into it that makes her feel worse, so they go on a hunger strike, it's why she is down in milk, that and the diarrhea causes dehydration.

Being dehdrated her poop will be abnormal, as will poop after a good worming will contain weird fecal, or mucous if they are sheeding their intestine also (seen in cocci and blood sucking worm loads). She isn't eating to have very much poop or cud.

It's why we do prevention...it takes a long time to now build her back up to what she was before, milking like she used to etc...Vicki

10. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

ok, her anemia level is fine. Somewhere between picture #1 or 2. She did have some mucousy poo a few days ago too - is that a good thing or a bad thing?

My vet's fecals are $25 each so I have not done preventative fecals in the past.

I really felt like the onset of diarrhea was due to the browse. Then I overdosed her with Pepto causing constipation and now she is just messed up. but I will have a fecal done on her. I really need to acquire the equipment to do my own fecals.

I'm having big goat frustration here!!!

Here is what I am not getting... I'm reading goatkeeping 101 about goatkeeping from kids to kidding and it says to practice prevention for cocci which I am doing to the letter.

Cocci is really not a huge thing in my area as it is down south and last year I was totally sloppy with prevention. I think I did it once with my kids who ran with thier dams and other adult goats 4-6 months until they were butchered. Wormings were sporadic at best with the whole herd. The only thing I was good with was the vaccinations.

My chickens who roam free in goat stuff and whatever never have cocci issues.

Since January I have been diligent. Keeping a complete record of everything. Bolusing, Wormings on schedule, etc. It has just been scour city this spring, but only once with kids (too much milk). The kids born this year and my new herd from tracy's are all on the same food and schedule as Capella and not having problems- and the kids are running with Madam out of necessity. Capella is the only doe remaining from my "old" herd. I was going to keep her as she was giving as much milk as Madam at one week fresh, even though her teats are so tiny I can hardly stand it!

I know it can't be true, but it seems like the more I do "right" the more goes wrong with this doe! The only thing that has been better with her this year than last is that she WAS giving WAY more milk, but last year was her first freshening.

She has eaten a significant portion of her hay this morning, so that is good...

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

be very sure of your dosage for the quest yes it is moxidectin

in fact 2% Equine Oral Gel - Contains 20 mg moxidectin/mL
    Now I don't know how that relates to cydectin and the doses we use on it. but just thought I would throw this out to ponder over. :)

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

The dose and difference is in Goat keeping 101.
    https://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,60.0.html

And...before I got enough goats to justify the bottle of Cydectin, I used Quest with fecals. It works as well as Cydectin. Do NOT use the #'s marked on the tube...use a 3cc syringe and squirt it from tube into that. The doses marked on the plunger are for horses and IS NOT the goat dose.
    Kaye

13. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Right.
    I use the goat dose. I don't have enough goats to get Cydectin.