Something worth doing !!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by whimmididdle, Jan 21, 2008.

1. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Got to tell you that this is worth planting every year. This is Marshall rye grass, and a rye mixture called WinterGrazer. Part is planted in my little garden and the rest is just thrown around in the yard. I let my girls out about mid-day for about an hour where they pig out. I really don't have to worry about them picking up many parasites as it has been cold and the gal's don't do but very little pooping out there. About $35 is all I spent, and at the price of hay this year......I have already more than got my moneys worth in saved hay.
    [​IMG]

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

WOW I need to do that Think Vicki sows rye in the fall too.

3. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Wow, that's nice Whim. Wish I could do that here. . . but.... we haul our own water (in a big truck) and couldn't really haul the water for a pasture/garden. How much did you water it?

Suriyah

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin No watering,,,,and we've been in a drought.......what rain that we have had has done the job....
    This will last until about May, and then I will have to cut it with my lawn mower to keep it from getting bushy looking. It does best if you can scratch the ground up a little when planting, but ryegrass will come up if just thrown down in most cases......it just won't grow as well.
    BTW....most of these deer blends for food plots carry the same kind of seeds and will do just as well.....sometimes you can get the deer blends at Walmart, and probably get it cheaper. Just got to do this in the Fall of the year for it to do well all Winter.

5. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Yep.. it's sure is nice to see your goats out pigging out!!!
    I used to plant rye in my area pens, the bucks especially, but now I plant the deer mix. They seem to love the variety. Funny thing is.. they now leave the rye grass till last to eat. They want the oats.. go figure.

Nice looking 'herd' of ND's you got there Whim.

Which brings me to an ever wondering question.. how many does it take to make a herd?

Rett

6. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

One's a goat, two is a pair, three is a herd!! :biggrin

7. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

What a great idea! I know you said to plant in the fall - but would it be okay to plant this in the spring right after the first frost?

8. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Are there any problems associated with the rye grass? Is it a fescue?

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Let me try to put this where you can figure out the cold hardiness.......our low this year has been 12 and that was last week....we had 17 & 15 the last 2 nights , and I took these pics this morning. Yes you can plant it in the spring...just know that rye will seed out come summer time and will die out......If it does seed out good and the seeds make it to the ground, you will get a lot of volunteer grass to come back next fall when the weather cools back down. Winter oats , wheat, rye, and rye grass, and some annual clovers are all very cold hardy.....as we often have days throughout the winter in AL, where there are days that get into the 60's and then back down in the upper 20's at night....this is almost perfect conditions for growing this stuff.

Fescue related ? I don't think so. Fescue is a perennial where rye is an annual. Rye is a grain much like unto wheat or oats........ I know lots of horse people who plant rye, and buy rye grass hay for their horses.....if there was much of a link between rye and fescue, surely I would have heard some flap about it by now.

Whim

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Whim...you better get that middle doe a set of training wheels to go under her belly! :jawdrop
    Geez...that little lady is close to the ground!!

We've sown the rye grass on the back pasture and the girls love it. ;)
    Kaye

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl Kaye....now you know why I'm being stingy with the grain until 125 days this year. That old black doe still has a month left 'til kiddin. As a matter of fact, 1 month from today. :nooo
    They get like this on 2 cups of alfalfa a day and grass hay.....and this grass, and browse that I cut them which is mostly just privet hedge and honeysuckle right now.

12. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Nice pic, nice goats :D

About 10 years ago, we had 10 acres or so of winter rye planted for our cattle and horses. Our neighbor came and drilled it in and it was gorgeous. Humm..maybe it was winter oats. can't recall. But many up and down the road here do it and it's all in the timing as there is some sort of worm that can do it in. Our neighbor wanted his rye grass (meaning ours) to be better than anyone else's on the road, so he timed it out right and it was perfect. That was the year I learned that you cannot let donkeys eat rye grass. Too rich and they will founder.

Next year, remind us all to plant this stuff again, it is so beautiful to look at if nothing else :D

13. Melissa

Melissa New Member

whim, I agree w/ Kaye, don't take them over any speedbumbs or they may get stuck! lol!

-Melissa

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl Yep , Kaye is laughing now, but I have her number and plan on calling her first about midnight on the 21'st of next month, so she can tell me how to get them kids out of this roly poly.

I'm getting very nervous about now. This is the old doe who had them 3 bucklings last year that weighed 5 lbs a piece., and it was no cake walk for her or me. :crazy I have completely changed my feeding schedule from last year in hopes that this will help some this time around.

Diane....We must not have that worm around here, as I have never had a problem getting this stuff to do well..
    I do know that just south of here, there is a worm or bug that will eat St. Augustine grass and will destroy a nice lawn in a couple of days.....My neighbor showed me one while I was living down there, and it looked like a grass hopper without any wings or jumping legs.
    Sorry about your donkey......I was thinking that donkeys and mules were hard to founder, but I knew that they could under the right conditions.

Whim

15. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

whim, we had a herd of about 10 donkeys, a pony and 3 horses. One donkey foundered before we realized the grass was too rich. After that, only the full sized horses and cows were allowed on the grass. it was just pitiful watching the donkeys and pony staring at that green grass and not being able to have it. So every day i would let them in on it for 30 minutes and then with my Aussie, herd just those back out while keeping the cattle and horses on it. Quite a task as they didn't want to leave.

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have got to get out and show off my pasture. Even with the frosts we have had it's really pretty, the vetch is just lovely. The girls are actually grazing, something we don't see here alot...and honestly it freaks me out them vacuming up all them parasites ;) Our pastures are usually belly high before the girls want anything to do with them. Vicki

17. Melissa

Melissa New Member

oh yea, well come this summer when all you southern folks are withering away I'll be basting nicely in our "more north than you" humidity. lol. our pastures are a nice brown with a few green undertones.

-Melissa

18. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin See, now you've got to get us some pics......BTW Vicki....what did you use as fertilizer, if any ?

19. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Goatmanure of course :) My brother who is big time cattle person, wanted to know why I didn't have a manure spreader when he was pitch forking my barns :)

Whim...I sat on the fliped up side down hood of a car, pulled by the tractor.... with buckets of the seed I mixed up (rye, deer grass plot, wild birdseed) and spread it as my husband not so slowly drove me over the pastures. I have very good balance riding horses my whole young life, I really think he was trying to throw me :) Vicki

Lightening McQueen: I am in Hill Billy Hell and I am becoming one of them the longer I stay here!!!!

20. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl Anybody that lives close to Vicki.....I'll gladly pay $20 for a copy of a tape if you will slip out at her place next fall, and take some footage of this happening.