Something "good" about my does

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Feral Nature, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I mentioned this in another thread but I want to brag. Yall know all heck has broke loose here on my farm, but I want to tell good stuff too, anything to keep my spirits up :D

I have put three 2 year old pregnant FF on the milkstand to give them their shots. One is Agnes a black LM, and the others are 2 MM, Chelsey and Speckles. None had ever even been in the milkroom before and are not led around with a rope either.

Well, they had no different behavior than my regular milkers. They even put their heads into the rope loop in the goat pen, came out the gate, walked gently and lady-like into the milkroom, jumped up onto the stand, ate their feed, stood motionless when I gave the shot, allowed me to manipulate their udders, assumed the official squatting dairy goat position over the imaginary milk pail as if being milked, and hopped off when asked. It was marvelous.

I was so happy to find a silver lining...I just love my girls :D

2. Melissa

Melissa New Member

yeaaaa! it's so nice when they do that.

-Melissa

3. Truly

Truly New Member

W :biggrin W

You're one lucky gal. I hope it's always like that for you.

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

It wasn't always like this. In 1991, I got my first dairy goats. Or so I thought. I bought 2 Nubian/Alpine crosses from a couple that lived out in the woods. They knew I was wanting milk goats and had nothing but good things to say about them. I paid $90. for one and $60. for the other. Then I bought a registered Nubian buck.

The does were bred and kidded and I thought I was really gonna have some milk. Well, nothing doing. It took 2 people to hold them while I attempted to milk their tiny weed-goat looking udders and I would get a few squirts. Fighting does have no let-down reflex. I would just about cry and I would end up bruised and bleeding. It was truly horrible and awful. These were obviously NOT dairy goats.

Meanwhile, I lusted after the goats in Dairy Goat Journal and United Caprine News....probably the goats of some of the forum members here. Now THOSE goats were DAIRY goats. Owning goats like that seemed an unattainable goal after the situation I had gotten myself into. I just could not imagine a doe with an udder like those pictured or a doe that LET you milk her.

Now, all these years later, I have my sweet, tame, gentle girls. With HUGE udders and lots of milk. I attained my goal of having real milk goats :D

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Now Diane why wouldn't those MM get up there and act like ladies They were well trained prior to you getting them :rofl

6. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Sondra...."Well trained" my patooty...those MM were the most demanding little bottle-babies on the whole place! Ok, they were trained to lead, I'll give you that. And ladies? maybe "Ladies of the Evening"!

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:rofl :rofl :rofl :yeahthat

8. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Hummm...everyone has a theme with naming their goats...maybe my MiniMancha line will all be named after famous prostitutes.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yeh and you can have them all on the "Chicken Ranch" :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
    "Diane" oh you know that Madam over at the "Chicken Ranch" :biggrin

10. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:rofl omg you two are killing me. :rofl

Sheryl

11. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Well, I did have an idea for the little LM buck that may or may not need a paternity DNA test. In keeping with the breeder's Texas towns theme..."LaGrange" :rofl

12. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

Well, she wasn't exactly a prostitute, but.......

my mini-nubian doeling is jet black with china blue eyes......I find myself calling herself Bettie Page! LOL! (She was a bit before my time, but I sell old magazines and come across the occasional article or picture of her)