Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

Something attacked my doe--Pic

5K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  Katarina 
#1 ·
Went down this evening and found this all over one of my does body..I shaved it to get a closer look, what can this be and do I need to give her anything. She isn't running a temp or seem to be in any pain. It looks awful.

See less See more
#4 ·
I thought that maybe she got into a bee's nest of some sort. The girls got out of there fence yesterday and was eating in the woods all afternoon, I have one that looks like this and one that is limping with a swollen pastern, so there is no telling what happened to them. But I did have several get attacked last year from a yellow jacket's nest in about the same vicinity they were out eating yesterday, sorry I just remembered that one.
Do I need to give her anything?
Autumn

#5 ·
OMG! their not fang marks (like from a snake) and I would think if bees/wasps it would have swelling and be inflamed. I'm kinda leaning toward shot gun. with the blood pinpricks. but with out the spread out pattern it would have been a close shot and a close shot would produce A LOT more damage. unless this pic. is the whole side of the doe and not just a small area. (can you get a pic of the whole doe including head? the more I look at it the more I agree w/ Diane and the shot gun. was she close to the road or property line? got any neighbors that dislike your goats or have kids who could have accidentally done this

-Melissa

#6 ·
Autumn, I would pinch on of the bumps up and see if there were any pellet shots to just make sure.
If it was wasp.. they might would have bitten her in several places.. not just in a circle pattern like in that one place.
Hopefully it is wasp (not that that is a good thing). I've used one of those bee sting pens on my doe before.
The one that 'dabs' on. Not sure what it has in it.. but it seemed to help.

Rett

#8 ·
Examine the wounds and if it appears to be stings, give the goat liquid children's benadrl. If the wounds have a little pellet embedded, the doe will need antibiotics. We had humans covered in bird shot like that come into the ER and they would not be in any physical distress, just lots and lots of little pellets buried under their skin. We would send them onto a plastic surgeon to excise them. They were not immediately life threatening but can of course cause infection.

#9 ·
Agree with Diane regarding treatments in either case but sure looks like shot gun pellets to me too. In which case I would take them out with a very sharp knife like exato knife as they could be lead.
Another thought is she laid in a fire ant bed and would give benedryl for that too.

#11 ·
If they weren't all over her body on both sides including neck and face I would too say gunshot but I am seriously think some kind of sting it is awful, no way for a neighbor to shoot them we have a 100-acre farm with another 200 or more acres of woods surrounding us, I hope no one ever shoots one of my girls that would be horrific. I will give her benedryl, how much and I will go to walmart for a bee sting pen. Do I need to shave the rest of her or just leave her alone, I am thinking leave her alone because I would have to completely shave her and it is starting to get cold again. I hate this type of stuff that is mystery, ugh.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Autumn

#17 ·
Looks like fire ants or wasps of some sort...sorry she found the nest ...I know when we lived in Texas the fire ants got after my horse and his muzzle swelled up pretty good...does she have alot of swelling? IF she is in some pain amybe some banamine might help to...

G
#18 ·
Autumn...I'm not with the wasp theory at all......most of our bees are very dormant this time of year....and what you do see are very sluggish. If by chance they nocked over a honey bee hive.....would be about the only way they would have this many bites.....it was warm yesterday and the day before, so guess it could have been. Pattern is right for a shotgun, but like the others....it's not likely that she would be covered all over like this. Hope you find out something....it looks almost like some type of chickenpox.

#20 ·
Could she have possibly gotten into some kind of poisonous plant? I looks like a reaction to me. Probably stings or a reaction to a plant of some kind. I think benadryl would probably take care of it. Is she eating and drinking fine??

Suriyah

#25 ·
Do you have Africanized bees in your part of Texas? We do here, south of you. It's been sooooo warm lately. I'm wondering if she disturbed a swarm.

#26 ·
We don't live in Texas and as far as I know we dont' have africanized honey bees. My husband did say a he saw a fresh ant mound so that could very well be it. I did squeeze one of the spots to see and clear fluid and blood came out so I thought venom/poison of some insect, each one of the spots are swollen, and I could have caused the blood spots with the clippers as I used a surgical 50 on her, she is one strong girl, I would be crying right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.