Soggy Conditions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Dec 17, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I have my buckling in a riding pen; the center of which has a nice warm straw coated house with a door and a spot for his feeder to be placed. EVERYWHERE else there is soggy mud and standing water. The weather has been so rainy and when my daughter rides she lopes her horse in his ring while he hangs out with the girls and the horses just trash his area. My question is, is this going to be an issue for him? He doesn't seem to mind...the girls would freak out, but I'm not sure what I can put down in there. It is a big area, 12 panels in a circle. When it freezes it is fine, but it is awful right now?

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Make sure his hooves are well trimmed with no gaps for gunk to build up and no this is not a good thing. Being in nasty, soggy conditions can cause all kinds of issues especially on his feet and legs. I am having a similar soggy issue around our new hay feeder but it shall shortly be fixed with two sizes of gravel so that water will go through and away from my does.

3. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Should I be concerned about the amount of snow I get during the winter. It is not the same as your soggy conditions but I can get up to 3' of snow.

4. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Well, I just trimmed all four goats. The boy looked good, but one of the girls front hoof had what appeared to be foot rot. The outer edge had a bunch of smelly black gunk in it. I dug it out trimmed it flat with the rest of the hoof, but there is an empty space from the outside toward the center? No blood or anything, just black.

5. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I have "trails" of solid top pallets across muddy areas, but that would hardly work since the whole riding area is trashed. Can you find him another dry spot even if it is small? Can you ring the riding pen with something else and use some of the panels to set him up in another area?

6. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

He was only "temporarily" supposed to be living in the riding ring. We will have to get him out of there...it is supposed to dry up this weekend. My hubby said the best best is sand for right now. I will call today to see how much $ that one will cost :( It's that money tree in the back yard that saves us I swear :) Hey what about the black hoof portion from the above post?

7. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

This particular doe is 30 days bred today. I have been reading about foot rot...grinding the feed flat. Giving 3.5 cc biomycin for 5 days straight. Her copper intake is froma mineral which is one that was recommended on here, cargill product, can't remember the name. I don't bolus.

8. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I wouldn't be giving biomycin yet.
    I've had little hollows when it's gone too long between trims. Especially on goats I go do trimming for. If it's not spongy just clean it out and dip the hoof in iodine or bleach water and come back and trim every week or so until you get it flat again. Clean it out every day and dip (the hoof not the leg) in bleach water or iodine.
    I don't think you can say you have a copper problem just from one hoof like this. Sure watch it but look at other indicators as well. How long has she been on the mineral? If I remember right it isn't very long ago you switched so give it a chance to work.
    That's my opinion. :)