Softer tail ligament! Oh my!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Never had a goat kid while I was here before. I'm just starting out again after a 20 year absence. (Was in 4-H when 14yrs) My mother helped with my doe back then as I just HAD to choose THAT night to spend over at my friends house. :bang :sigh

Solana, my alpine FF now, is getting softer in her tail ligaments. And her udder, although still pretty small, was a little bigger this morning. Her vulva looks pretty red.

Does this mean that she has hours, or days...? I just checked up on her again and she looks okay.

I am sooooo nervous for her. Can you tell? :lol

-Kim

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I thought you already asked this question and we answered it.

Relax. The babies will come when they are ready. Could be 12 hours could be 2 weeks.

Perhaps next year it would be wise to have exact breeding dates. ;)

Sara

3. coso

coso Guest

Usually when mine got really close I couldn't feel any ligaments at all and you felt like you could almost wrap your hand around the tail head and touch fingers. But, every doe is different. :biggrin

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Yes Sara. Having exact breeding dates are definitely in my plans. Since her tail ligaments are softening AND her udder is growing I wondered if both signs combined means that she is much closer than "weeks".

I can still feel ligaments but seems like I can also wrap my fingers around her tail head. Go figure. Thanks. I guess I'll just have to check up on her alot more often now. :D

-Kim :)

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

It really depends on the doe. I had a FF that I said would be a couple weeks yet, kidded two days ago. Just keep checking every 12 hours. You will probably know when she is in labor. The waiting can just about kill you though...

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Kim,
    Do you happen to have a baby monitor that you could put out in the goat barn so you could have the receiving one in your house/bedroom at night? That would help ease your mind some. I have a boer doe that has been like this for about 2 weeks now. Every morning I fully expect to walk out and see babies bouncing around, but no there she is waddling around full and round and fat hollering for her breakfast every morning. :lol

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

No... I do not have a baby monitor. Sadly. :nooo I just checked up on her about half an hour ago. She MIGHT be in the very begining stages of labor. I have NO IDEA. :/ I saw her tail arch. And several minutes, probably 20-30 minutes later she seemed to arch her back a little. I sat with her for the longest time and she just nibbled on some hay. Kept sniffing at her water dish but did not drink. Been licking her mineral block like mad. (It is an older one that I put in her pen to keep the wire from bowing in just there.) A temperary set up pen in a hurry this afternoon. Still figured I had a week or two. I still might. Wish I knew. :crazy ;) I'll let you know if I see anything else.

-Kim

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I found a baby monitor set at a garage sale a couple of years ago for $4.00. Might keep your eye out for some garage sales that have baby stuff for sale. They really come in handy.

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks for the tip.

-Kim