Soft stools on a dry yearling doe....Suggestions needed.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, May 23, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

They are not loose or runny. They are only a bit soft at this point and a little bit of a lighter brown color. (Dry yearling doe) Brought home to the farm on 5-20-08 (3 days ago.) The day I brought her home I gave her 1 cup pelleted wormer, 2cc CD&T, 5g Probios (for the feed change). Now that she's got softer stools I want to keep them from getting worse. What should I do?

Thanks.

Oh and she acts just fine. Not off at all. I'd like to keep it that way. :(

I just bought Ivomec Plus. Should I give this? What about B Complex? More Probios? ???

2. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Kim,
    Is she getting more browse or graze than she was at her previous home? That can soften her stools.

I don't know about the wormer, but B-complex would increase her appetite and give her energy. If she's eating well and active, I wouldn't think it would be necessary. But, she would just pass any extra if she didn't need it, so it probably wouldn't hurt her. A little probios wouldn't hurt either. Don't know that it would help, but it wouldn't hurt.

I know, I'm not much help, am I :) ? I just thought about the extra green stuff that might be in her diet. If so, I bet that's what's causing it.
    Kathy

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK your pelleted wormer could have cause this I don't know however fresh grass that she hasn't been used too will cause it and also any feed change. introducing her to grain very very gradually. put out a little baking soda and keep up the probios. I also would worm her with the ivormec plus at least in 10 days from the day you gave her the pelleted wormer.

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks go to all of the above. I REALLY appreciate the input. I think the only change in food is the little bit of grain and a.pellets that she is getting now. She was on a grass pasture before, so that is nothing new. I will use Ivomec Plus on the 10th day then. And give more Probios tomorrow and the bottle says 5cc per 100 lbs of B Complex. She is about 72 according to the weight tape. I think she might be a little more than that. What should I give for a dose on that?

Extra question: Should I dose my adults with Corid as well? Especially the new one? Thanks.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

This is what I do with new to my herd all recieve worming meds 10 days apart all get CD/T , all get treated for cocci or fecals done on them as for anyone here getting B vit here they get a 3 cc shot regarless of weight unless real signs of polio then given more and B1

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Why are you using pelleted wormer?

Also, 72# is really small for an Alpine yearling.

Sara

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

It is all that I had at the time. It said it was good for lactating and preg does. And mine was preg when I got it. And I know that 72#s is very small for a yearling Alpine. Her sister is small too. You can see by her picture though that she does not look skinny or undernourished. I have no idea why they are small. Two possiblities come to mind. A small dam ??? and/or Cocci when kids? The other doeling that my friend got at the same time, a nubian grade, is about the same size making me think cocci. ??? :(

[​IMG]

By the way, I gave her another 5g probios this morning. Seems okay still.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Just seeing the picture of this doe......worm her NOW with Ivomec Plus, coccidia treat her for 5 days, and worm her again with Ivomec Plus in 10 days.

Ditch the pelleted wormer...the drug doesn't work in goats for the blood sucking worms. I don't even use it in small kids. Regardless of what the lable says.
    Kaye

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you Kaye. But will the Ivomec Plus react with the other wormer or is it okay? It has only been about 4 days since the pellets were given.

Can I give Ivomec Plus to my lactating doe? She is still feeding her 6 1/2 week old wether. Can I also give her Corid doses for 5 days without harm to her kid?

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

No IP will not react. It is OK.

Yes.
    Yes. But I would do a fecal first, to see if coccidia is a problem.
    Kaye

11. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

UPDATE:

Everyone received Ivomec Plus (1-1.5cc orally depending on weight.)except the 7 week old wether who is still nursing. Also the two yearlings got their first Corid dose yesterday.

All are doing great! Thanks everyone!

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

How much do your goats weigh? I use Ivermectin plus 3cc per 100 pounds orally. Vicki

13. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

They are very small. The yearlings are only around 80lbs. I was doing the 1cc/50lbs dose. I think the two yearlings must have had cocci as kids or perhaps their dam was small. I can not remember. They are not underweight... so I constantly wonder.

Did I not give them enough? And yes... I fed them the Ivermectin Plus orally as I read that this is what you are suppose to do.

I also believe, if memory serves me right, that they were weaned at 7 weeks. I did not know any better and neither did the owners, who only had goats for about a year or less. That could also have affected their small stature, right? I really hope they gain some size now. :down Oh yes, and the two yearlings are full sisters/twins.

The one twin that I owned since 7 weeks or so got pregnant around 7 months. An accidental breeding. :mad I would say that the preg kept her small too, but she is the same size as her dry yearling sister that I just brought home to the farm about 6 days ago. Go figure! It has me stumped. Any ideas?

14. NubianSoaps.com

Pregnancy has nothing to do with it. It's management. now you can have speicific problems related to your area, minerals etc...that makes it impossilbe to breed does young, 8 months/80 pounds or they will bow legs...the rest is personal preference.

There is a secret bullet to all this, it's prevention. You don't move from one catastrophy to another in your goats....milkfever to worms to cocci, treating symptoms. You use prevention, kids wormed and on cocci meds for 5 days before they reach 3 weeks old, off 20 days on before the 21st day. CD&T vaccines on time, bottles the same temp and on time daily, twice daily milking through peak production and getting them into a good routine, saving once a day milking for the down swing of lactation. Trimming feet monthly are as often as you need to keep them in good shape.

It's a program.

And 80 pound Alpine doe should be 7 months old. Cocci, worms and poor feeding management is what gives you an 80 pound milking yearling. Keeping too many goats, listening to too many different ideas...if I had Alpines I would be talking to Tracy...what do you feed? What minerals do they need? What are you worming with? What bloodlines do you have? etc....Vicki

15. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I practice prevention now. When I first got this now milking yearling after 20 years of not having goats, I did not know what I know now.

Is there a chance with the care, management and prevention I have now, that she will grow in stature? She still has good, strong legs. Just not tall or average sized for her age. NOT skinny for sure.

Thank you Vicki. I will talk to Tracy.

16. NubianSoaps.com

It depends why she is stunted. Yes of course she will grow, but to her potential, no. Especially if damage was done by cocci. Vicki