Soda and Salt ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by laughter777, Jun 19, 2008.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

More silly newbie questions! I know I need to put out soda and minerals....will I need additional salt if I use Bluebonnet Tech Master Minerals??

2. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

No, the minerals will have salt in them. If you put salt out, they may not eat the minerals! Just check the back of the bag and make sure it has salt in the analysis (I think they do make a techmaster without salt).

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I also don't put soda out. Salt is sodium and so is soda (sodium bicarbonate). Livestock only go to minerals for sodium...so offering them 2 or 3 things that can satisfy this craving when we want them eating the minerals for copper etc.....to me makes no sense. With good cured grass hay the goats get all the sodium they need, and if you feed un molassased grains and limit the amount to just what is needed to keep them in good conditon while milking, or growing....soda isn't needed because there isn't any acid in the rumen for it to work on. If you are going to feed soda than mix some into the minerals. The Tech Master minerals are excellent, not only that they are grey, but with kelp and probiotics and yeast already in them, no mixing. Vicki

4. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Thank you! Sounds good! I think I will be making my own goat book for my library from info printed here! I try to have atleast 1 book on each animal I have, but I have found a lot of the info in the dairy goat books kinda contradicts what I learn here!

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Disagree on that one. Yes, Sodium is salt, but:
    Sodium bicarbonate is used as an antacid to treat acid indigestion and heartburn[6] An aqueous solution is administered intravenously for cases of acidosis, or when there is insufficient sodium or bicarbonate ions in the blood.[

Since, during the summer grass hay is not put out, only alfalfa, then I use Sodium Bicarb as a rumen buffer and for acidosis.
    My does have access to plain white salt, Onyx mineral, and baking soda. All in different feeders. The plain white salt is out for the cow. The Onyx mineral and baking soda are only acessable by the goats. I NEVER see the does at the cow's salt but the Onyx and baking soda are used by the does through out the day. I replenish the two feeders twice a week.

I have actually done UNSCIENTIFIC tests to see if the BS has an effect on the butterfat percentages. Since I DHIR test every month, I pulled the BS one month =lower butterfat %, offered it free-choice =Bf raised, pulled again = lower BF%, then offered it once more =BF% back up to above normal. Nothing else was changed. Since it's known to adjust the acidity in the rumen, this just proved to me that keeping it out free-choice was a benefit.
    Chck the tags on most dairy cattle feed and somewhere on the tag it states rumen buffer or sodium bicarb.
    Kaye

6. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

You mention grass hay. I feed grass hay, alfalfa pellets, minerals all free choice...would you say the soda is still needed or no??

Thanks,
    Sarah

7. NubianSoaps.com

I'ts not going to hurt anything Sarah to feed it.

Kaye and I disagree on so few things :) But I don't feed anything to put my goats into acidosis, so for me baking soda is a moot point...and I fed it, Diamond V yeast, Kelp, minerals, stock salt...the smorgusboard of minerals that Dr. Guss talks about. All I know is that using just minerals, and them only going to their minerals, I don't have to copper bolus my girls. Course my 'just' minerals, contain most of the list above. Vicki

8. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I think with the exception of the bermuda/bahia mix hay I plan to feed the same as you. (wait do you feed the Bluebonnet Master Tech Minerals??) I found what I think is the same feed that you feed at TSC and compared it to what I feed my horses and they are almost 100% the same thing?!?

9. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Who is Dr. Guss and where does he talk about minerals?

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Tech master complete is GREAT and only if you have a doe acting a little off do I put out BS now. But always used it before getting these minerals.

11. NubianSoaps.com

Yes Sarah it is what I use.

Dr. Guss wrote an old book about Diseases and Management of Dairy goats, a very good read. He talks about offering goats a smorgosboard of minerals, and giving them alot more credit than they deserve :) Vicki