Soapmaking kit? Vicki?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by [email protected], Jul 28, 2008.

1. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Vickie, when you make your soapmaking kits to go with your classes what do you put the lye in? How much do you charge for those? or do you just give them to those who come to your classes?

By the way, the class I did the other day was really nice. We made a few different swirled soaps and I did a green one that came out gorgeous. I have to try and repeat that. I forgot to get pics and let her take it home. But the swirling worked beautifully.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Unless a casual class with a friend in which I will do crazy things, like my first in the pot swirl with a rose that accellerated and we poured into PVC pipe :) Talk about flying by the seat of my pants, at one point I actually was really stern to her and told her to stand back :) LOL!!! I could tell I was going to have to pour fast and didn't want to splash her...but in class I am doing things so carefully and slowly that boy can you get pretty swirls!!!

I buy the little rubbermaid containers at wallmart that have screw on lids and then use black electricians tape to secure the lid more and write LYE on it all over it.

I do not give the full wallmart recipe it's just enough to make the one small mold...4 large soaps, 5 small ones. I premelt the oils and lard and then pour them into the coconut oil jars I have hundreds of from doing class. I keep all the 1 ounce and 2 ounce free glass scents I get all the time and fill them with scent for them to use, and let them pick which one they want to try from a list. I only give them a short list of fool proof scents.

All they have to do then is remelt in the microwave the oils and butters, pour it into a bucket, add the lye to 8 ounces of water, add the butters and oils, make the soap, scent and pour. I put really good instructions with it. I put it all into a large ziplock. Same with my rebatch I sell, it's all in a large ziplock.

One day I am going to sell them on my website they are such a hit. Right now they are part of the class, $40, and they cost me under $10 so I am making my billable $30 and hour.

I also want to get the test molds from Kelsie to sell with my kits. Vicki

3. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

That sounds really good. I'm going to offer those as well. I understand that not all who take a class will actually want to do soap by themselves. Sometimes they need to have confidence and see it in action before they make an attempt.

I have a problem with talking too much during the class so I need to keep it under a hour and a half.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK so how are you advertizing that you give soap classes?

5. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Word of mouth mostly. I also belong to a large natural food network and it has a email list so I casually mention that I give soapmaking classes at my farm where they can pick up raw goat milk, and there are always a few people interested. ;)

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Online but also at the college down one town. My soap customers, my husband and I am asking my neighbor who works for a big company that has an email want ads type thing. And my truck, I am asking Sondra for "Private Soap Classes" to be added to my sign on my truck window :) Vicki

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

YOu are sooooooooooooooooo bad :)