Soap slow to trace

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Whitney, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Whitney

Whitney New Member

I've made several batches of the walmart recipe now and each time it has taken f-o-r-e-v-e-r to trace. I think I just figured out what I was doing wrong. I don't have a microwave, so I've been heating the lard and CO in a double boiler. I've been completely melting them. Reading over the recipe (which I have read about 200 times so no idea why I'm just now noticing this :) ) I realize I'm only supposed to *soften* them, not actually melt them--right? No wonder it is taking so long to trace. :rofl I am seriously laughing at myself here--it took me several batches to realize the problem. :lol

Since it was taking so long to come to trace I finally had to walk away from it to take care of other things. Every so often I would check on it and give it a stir but I mostly left it alone for about an hour. After an hour it was at a very nice trace and I poured it into my molds. It looks great. So my question is---does it need to be stirred continuously after the lye and oils are well combined or is it okay to give it some time to set up w/o stirring? This particular batch is unscented so there were no concerns about a FO seizing or anything like that.

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Are you using a stickblender? Using one will speed things up considerably. Stirring by hand is way too much work!

Sara

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

It shouldn't take that long to trace even if the oils are all completely liquid. I completely liquify my lard on the stove (don't need double boiler for this if you watch the heat) well sometimes I heat it just enough to emulsify the lard into a liquid form. remove the pot from heat, add solid coconut and stickblend until it's all melted. Add liquid oils. Then I usually let the oils cool a bit while I do other things. Sometimes I rush it and just soap right then, but I like the oils really cool.

I too suspect lack of a stickblender. By a cheapie and it'll be worth a zillion to you!

Bethany

4. Whitney

Whitney New Member

Thanks! I do need to get a SB. :)

5. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I had the same problem- slow trace - and on the recommendation of the girls here invested in a stick blender. It makes a huge difference!

And since I can't post in OT right now...I still haven't had my baby :sigh

6. Nigilover

Nigilover New Member

Making a huge difference is an understatement! My first batch was stirred by hand with a spoon--- so I could experince the whole transformation process as suggested in the book--- an hour later, I was still questioning the trace thing! The stick blender gives results in 3-5 min! Can't pay enough for a time saver. :biggrin

7. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I have never used my microwave to melt oils. And I do the double boiler 'cause I'm known to forget things on the stove. LOL I've done a couple recipes that take forever to trace even with a SB. And my main recipe I don't need one at all.

8. Whitney

Whitney New Member

Thanks everyone. I just cut the batch from last night. It looks really good.

Yeah, the double boiler is necessary for me. If I did it in a pan directly on the burner I would scorch it for sure. I have a habit of forgetting that I have things on the stove I'm supposed to be watching. :lol

Homeacre, when are you due?

9. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I am now several days over the most generous EDD, but everything still looks fine so we are still waiting on nature to take its course. Should have had a baby a week ago... and would have gotten a shot if I had been a goat. LOL

10. lynpea

lynpea New Member

Lessons learned from stick blenders: use it to emulsify only.....and be ESPECIALLY careful with FO's that are known accelerators! I learned the hard way. Just using it to emulsify has helped so much. If I have a slow to trace then I might use it in short bursts. But if you are having air bubbles in the surface of your soaps... it's the stick blender. It's sooooo easy to overdo it.