soap mold questions...

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by chewie, Sep 8, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

i am currently using a large cheese box for a mold, makes a nice loaf shape which i like alot. however, i only had a few of these boxes, and they are looking shabby! they are not holding their shape anymore, therefore i am getting loaves that are fat in the middle. so now that i've gotten hooked, i would like to buy/make some molds similar to my cardboard ones only 'real' stuff, and a bit bigger. i use all GM, so what should i look for? i want another loaf shape, as the ppl who are buying my soaps really like that hand-cut look. i seen some use wood, and i seen some on ebay made out of that stuff like a white hard plastic cutting board. or would i be better off to check out the local discount for a rubbermaid container of sorts? i seen some have issues when using wood? help!

also, long ago i seen a site that had a calculator that you could put in your mold dimentions and it'd tell you how much soap you could put in it. anybody have that link to share?? if i get bigger molds, my recipe will have to be adjusted and that site gave all that info in a snap!

*edited by BlissBerry - topic made more searchable

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

3. shawhee

shawhee Member

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

All molds hold liquid...put a bucket on your scale, tare it, fill your mold with water, pour the water into the bucket....viola` the amount of soap you need for your mold. Remember that your pounds of butters and oils ounces does not take into consideration your lye and liquid weights. vicki

5. chewie

chewie New Member

thanks all! i didn't think i'd ever soap, now i am wanting to go bigger!! its good clean fun, hehe!

and its so rewarding that my whole family is hooked on what i make too!