Soap Color and Using pieces of already made soap

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by laughter777, Aug 22, 2008.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Ok so I have 1 small batch of soap under my belt and I am hooked! Thanks Vickie!! ;)

So my questions:
    Can you color soap with food color? I have everything I need to soap with and the scents I have to practice with are Vanilla and Coconut (Can I mix them myself or is it best to use them separately?) I don't know if these color the soap at all...if not I have red food color in my cabinet...can that be used or no?? If not where is somewhere I can go to get a cheap colorant to give soap a pinkish color or what color do you suggest for those scents (together or separate) and what should I use...for a green I have parsley (I think I read that give a green color.)

Next question I have some pieces of soap left from cutting my last batch it is OM&H can I add it to these scents or should I wait for something else???

This is all a practice, learning experience for me for now. I will give it to family and friends.

Sarah

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Food coloring is not very stable in CP soap. Most of the time the color is completely unexpected or disappears completely.

It is much better to use colorings made for use in soap - micas, oxides, Peacock dyes, clays, etc.

Sara

3. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Cool. I knew if I asked I would get a quick answer! I tried searching here and google. Here nothing. Google only stuff for melt and pour so I knew i had to come here....should have come here first before googling! wasted the 5 minutes googling!

4. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Would this scent with either or both of those scents be better with out color?? Wouldn't it be like an off white type color anyway with out a colorant??

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Anything with vanilla is going to go dark on you so I wouldn't waste my time coloring that one. Also, many coconut FO's fade in CP soap so I would probably try the two together. A vanilla coconut blend sounds really yummy. :)

Sara

6. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Cool! Thanks! Off to soap now!! Oh do you know anything about putting the pieces of OM&H into another soap, probably not this one, but if I wanted to do another one with those pieces how would I???

Thanks,
    Sarah

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Usually I just shred up the bars and mix them in barely traced soap and pour into the molds.

I do have a chunk bar that I do as well. You can either mix the chunks into raw soap at trace and pour into molds or put the chunks on the bottom of your mold and carefully pour the raw soap over the chucks. I have better success mixing the chunks into the raw soap. :)

Sara

8. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Thanks! Off to soap this time for real...had to do a little clean up before I could soap, so decided since I had to come by the computer to get my soap stuff I would double check to see your response! Think I might save these pieces for another soap or do you think the light tanish color of OM&H would look (and smell) ok in a Coconut/Vanilla brown soap???

Sarah

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Also ellensessentials.com is right there in Houston she sells Peacock colors her name is Ellen Peacock. vicki