So which is worse...

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by jimandpj, Aug 19, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Telling a customer you can't sell them a particular scent?

or

Selling the customer the scent at only 2 weeks cured?

Anyone???

PJ

2. Whitney

Whitney Member

Most of mine are CP-OP w/ a deep liquid discount so before or by 2 weeks they are ready for sale. So I would say it depends on the soap.

3. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Mine are just CP no liquid discount. I usually let them cure 4-6 weeks.

PJ

4. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Tell them you can't sell them the scent YET. Tell them great soap is worth the wait.

My philosophy is this...Every time I sell or even give a bar of soap I am saying something about my company. Even if I say, "hey, let his cure for a bit more before you use it" they will probably still use it and wonder why it didn't last or wasn't as gentle or as bubbly as it could be.

My only exception to this rule is my bargain bin soaps. But they are not inferior as far as being good soap, they generally are just uglies or ones with faded scents, or stuff that was moving slow and people know that.

Start working with a discount and you will find your turn around all the better. I have some I discount, some I don't, some are 100% GM, some not.

5. It would depend for me.
    Is the customer purchasing a bunch of soaps?
    You can tell her to use that one last.
    I ddi an vent once right at the base of the Peaks Of Otter.
    I had sold out of my Peaks Of Otter soap and had no cured soap to take. ( I had a run on it the week before)
    So I heaped a basket with naked soaps and made a little sign explaining that thay could take it home but it needed to cure 3 weeks.
    I just about sold out of it, very popular!
    Becky

6. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

So, can we talk discounting?

If you premix your lye (which I do) - I've been making it 50/50 water to lye. Can you make a stronger lye solution? How strong can you go?

If not - do you just cut out the amount of goat milk you put in?

Thanks!
    PJ

7. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I would not mix the lye with any less than and equal amount of water like you are already doing, I don't think it would dissolve. Yes, you take more milk out. I use www.soapcalc.com and discount my recipe to 33% lye. I've done 40%, but that is so little GM I may as well not have put it in!

So let's say my recipe calculated at 33% is 26 oz water and 8 oz lye. That means I would use 16 oz of my 50% lye solution and 10 oz of GM.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

PJ, first why do you want to discount your liquid down further? Vicki

9. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Hmmmm... I don't!

I'm really happy with my soap (my variation of the walmart recipe) and how I make it. My 11 year old daughter and I soap together (don't worry - she doesn't go near the lye). We're getting really good at it. We soaped 168 bars this evening in 1 hour 10 minutes. Including clean up! :biggrin Of course, they lye had already been mixed and the oils meausred and melted.

I'm just curious how discounting works. I know a lot of people do it and say their soap is ready in two weeks. I wanted to learn more.

PJ