So upset! Lost buckling... disbudding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jul 6, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I am incredibly upset!

We had recently gotten a new LOVELY MM buckling! He was going to replace Salsa.

He was disbudded late the day we got him at about 4 weeks old...

my dh was going to disbud the female we got the same time and wanted to redisbud this boy...

my dd was helping...

I HAD JUST walked out and they had burned once then dh was trying to trim down the horns and was going to redisbud...

I walked in the house... 2-3 min later my dd ran in that he was DEAD

beautiful buckling dead...

tried to ask what happened! Were they burning or what when he died.

Dh did not know! HUH?

I had to walk out... I do NOT want to make him feel bad... but I was excited about this boy! I was really looking forward to using him.

They are now burning the girl and I am very concerned.

All I can think is how much I would rather have this boy with scurs...

I want to sit and cry.

Any idea what could have happened? No seizure just suddenly he was GONE.

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Oh, so sorry! Really sorry :sniffle

Maybe his heart just stopped? Perhaps he had a little defect or perhaps the adrenalin rush was too much. Again, so sorry.

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

any ideas with it being so very sudden? Would not I assume be his brain swelling...

the fact that dh had no clue and it had I kid you not been 2-3 min since I had asked how is he doing?

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

He was not even crying over being held down when I was out there...

this just threw me..... really threw me.

He was out of Sienna & Horns... :(

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Could the little buckling's air supply been cut off while he was being held down? Perhaps he was suffocated.

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I wonder that too... really do not want to upset Becca though...

Feeling like *I* should have been out there... I am not huge & pregnant...

wishing I could go back & do over...

I don't get this upset usually

7. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Sorry about your loss. I know it is so disappointing and disheartening. I once lost a doe that I had disbudded. She was a bit weak when born and I should have waited a little longer for her to gain strength. I went ahead and disbudded her and she died. I told this to my Vet and he quickly told me to toughen up and get over it, that in my business the horns have to come off - and to lose one occasionally was part of it.

Well, that is the only kid that I have lost from disbudding in the past 15 years.

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks all... settling down...

this just caught me so off guard and I'm not sure disbudding at this point would have done anything...

9. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We had a close call with a doeling a year o0r so back...I think it was Anson's twin. We disbudded, let her go, she struggled to her feet, fell over, limp unresponsive. I panicked but in a minute she was 'waking up'. I think that when I held her head I usually grab them around the muzzle and I think that I was not allowing her to breathe and she passed out. Had it been longer then I could see the end result being death. I dont know, obviously, but I am so sorry. :(

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I have to agree with the heart problem.
    This much stress at one time could have caused it. I've had them faint (for lack of a better word) but usually I just drop them to the floor and they come to. No, it's not from 5' up...I'm sitting on a bucket. I've had several do this and each time they "pass out" I drop them. Maybe it's the jar that brings them around. But to die?? Never.

Brain swells can take as little as several hrs. to 24 hrs. for you to see problems. Not immediately.
    Kaye

11. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

So sorry for your loss.

Autumn

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

tw dh and he was just focused on what he was doing...

I think likely air supply given everything.... but heart is possible...

I am calmer... this one just got me. Made me realize I am going to really struggle when it is a *loved* one... that has not happened yet.

13. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I am so sorry for you loss. :down It is harder when it is a goat that we have big plans for. :sniffle

This spring I and a friend were disbudding a buck kid and when I went to get him out of the disbudding box he was limp as a dish rag I did c p r on him and got him back.
    I think he hung him self in the box and was cutting the blood supply and or air off from getting oxygen to his brain.
    I have to say I like them making a lot of fuss now I know they are still alive. :/
    I have seen adult goats go down tied or on a stand.
    when blood gets cut of and there not getting oxygen to there brain and then they pass out and get hung and it is hard to left a big goat up to get there head out. :down
    I have been lucky and just had a couple Boer goats pass out and now I like the quick release collars. :D
    Fran

14. Nancy

Nancy New Member

So sorry for your loss.

15. cloverhillgoats

cloverhillgoats New Member

:( I'm so sorry! Wishing you the best from now on.

16. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

So sorry Lynn, how horrible

17. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks all... sorry to make a fuss.

18. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:down :down :down
    Probably will never happen again at your place.

Whim

19. Belle

Belle New Member

:( So sorry for your loss.

20. Terry

Terry Member

Sorry for your loss.