So now what?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Pam V, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Pam V

Pam V New Member

Hi everyone-
    My first post here and it sounds like others that I've read and thought, 'That would be bad!'

The snow piled up in a corner of the fence and my Alpine buck was in with my Fiber girls when I got home from work. They are Pygoras and two deeper bodied Pygmy crosses. The electricity isn't working in the barn and it was difficult to see very far with the little LED light and all of a sudden there was an Alpine in my face in the fiber side of the barn! I just stared at him for what seemed like a long time-it just couldn't be! He looked very happy. :really :mad I removed him, looking at his brother standing on the fence inside the buck pen, thinking at least he's in, and shoved him back in the buck pen. As I struggled to snap the chains I kept an eye on him....and then the other Alpine buck (that I just looked at IN the pen) was nuzzling my head :crazy. I didn't see or hear how he got out there but there he was in just a few seconds while I was hooking the cattle panel that he just went over!
    So the pen will need some serious work. But what about my girls? :( I put the Pygora buck in there last night and I suppose that stirred things up since the fences are so close.
    As everyone else always says, I sure didn't expect that! :blush
    So what do you think I should do?

Pam V

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Hi Pam. Welcome to the board. Well you could do a couple of things. If you just do not want the possibility of mixed breed babies in 14 days you could give all the girls in that pen a 2cc shot of lutalyse (from the vet) and they will lose any pregnancy. Then you can start over. In the mean time, build Fort Knox to keep the bucks in. Strong treated posts holding those cattle panels up with a regular gate with a goat proof latch. Is there a possibility they went over the cattle panels? If so, you may have to add a hog panel across the top. If you used 8' long treated 4 1/2" to 6" top posts you can bury them 2 feet in the ground and then have your regular cattle panel stapled to it with the hog panel stapled up high. If there is a will there is a way for those bucks.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Lute everyone is what I would do as you can't be sure now. OH and fix fence :) maybe run some electric wire across the top of your existing fence or just inside so those bucks don't go over again.
    Welcome to the forum.

4. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

...And if you do NOT wish to abort for whatever reason, then in 28 days you can send in blood samples to Bio Tracking to see if they are actually pregnant or not. That is still something I need to do this month. But thankfully my girls are suppose to be bred. Here's hoping for the best for you. And yes....Fort Knox is a must. Even then nothing is assured. :)

5. Pam V

Pam V New Member

You all are so great! Really! I've been a lurker for at least two years :blush so I know what you can do ;)

If I had thought back when they were only two months old or so I would have done more. We called the one that was in with the girls Matrix cause he was really a jumper and did amazing feats off the temporary triangle palet house and then onto the pallet gates....and out....even then. I had forgot. He hadn't escaped for months. Of course new incentive, now. The girls have been going into heat all fall but we just got alot of snow and it is now packed on the fence line. And now I see they can just get their heads over. I should have seen it coming.
    I only saw one doe looking happy to see the Pygora buck yesterday and he did mount her but that's all I could see cause it was dark so I wrote it down as a possibility. But we've been gone for 11 hours. No idea how long that Alpine has been in there except he wasn't there this morning at 5:30.

I didn't think of preg testing.....hmmmm...

One of the girls is a Pygmy/Nig cross. Thats pretty small and I don't wan't Pygora/ Alpines!

As I said I only put the Pygora buck in yesterday and he may have bred one. I wanted June kids cause then I will be home (summer vacation) for the kiddings and they still have time to grow before the cold winter.

I thought of Lute. So if I lute what would be expected....What would I see? It is also used to bring them into heat so how would I know if heat or ...I guess what I'm not saying right is do I leave the Pygora buck in there to take advantage of the induced heats or take him out, give it time and do it all over again....and how long? Sigh!
    No june kids?
    Not sure what I will do except might put the Alpine bucks in the dairy side until we can get the fence 'fort'-ified. They are all bred...I think. Need to do the bio...need to learn to pull blood. DH (Tom) won't be home until late so we will discuss. I can show him your ideas.

Pam

6. Pam V

Pam V New Member

Heres what I found in the older posts. I think it is what I was looking for.

"If you use lute after implantation in a good IM shot, it is always going to abort, always going to open the cervic and deliever kids. I would breed on the lute heat since you don't know if you are aborting or using it to bring them into heat.

The problem with lute is if they aren't pregnant and you are bringing them into standing heat out of cycle, it doesn't make them ovulate if ripe eggs are 3 or 4 days away from the breeding, the semen by then isn't viable. So I would expect at least a few to not take on this lute cycle. Vicki"

I also read somethig about 11 - ? days ?

Pam V

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

In order to keep from having to DNA test to prove who the sire is (If registration is important), you would need to remove all bucks from the pen. Lute all the does after 12-14 days, which is the time it takes for implantation of the fertilized egg) On their next heat cycle they will be ready to breed.

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

If your small/mini does were exposed to a full size Alpine buck then you need to lute them.

Sara

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sara is right they will have too much trouble delivering.

10. Pam V

Pam V New Member

:yeahthat is the scary part! Secondary is that I would loose a whole year and probably have to butcher the whole bunch of kids. :nooo
    I'll take the fiber buck out and do the lute in the required time. Even though there wasn't any indication that anyone was in heat..except one :(...I can't take the chance that the Alpine didn't 'do a deed'. Those Pygoras are really subtle in their heat cycles!
    Sure was a cold -20F last night putting up the cattle panels. But then it was -40 in the morning so it could have been worse :lol
    Great weather, eh Blissberry (I live on the Canadian border) and all you Canadian neighbors!

Pam V

11. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Hear ya! It is brutal! You are probably even colder than we are... and that's cold! I woke up to minus 30 with windchills at minus 55... and it's going to be even colder tonight and tomorrow night!

Stay warm.

Sara

12. Pam V

Pam V New Member

:biggrin Hot chocholate goat milk warms the soul!
    You all in the south send warm thoughts north.

And thanks to all of you for past and present support and info.....And a late Happy new year. (seemed like I was on a role).

Pam V