So how do you sterilize your work space/eqpt?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

THe mention of mold in lotion always makes me re-examine my process. I never think it is good enough.

So, just how do you prep your work space to make lotion or other products?

I get my kitchen cleaned up like normal first. THen I have a spray bottle with bleach water that I will spray everything that might come in contact with any of the ingredients. I will have a pan of boiling water that I'll set utensils in. But I only use the bleach water to clean bowls and dry with paper towels. I set paper towels or paper plates around to set utensils or whatever on that I don't want touching the counter. Even though it should be clean if I've set a bottle of oil on it that could contaminate it with something right? And what about your hands? Do you wear gloves? I don't but wonder if I should. For lotion, my hands don't really touch the ingredients.

Sometimes I even worry about the bottles themselves. They usually come in plastic bags and I keep them in there until ready to use.

Oh.....and what about flies????? This time of year there always seem to be at least a few flies in my kitchen. I don't know how to get rid of them. I try to keep everything covered as much as possible like laying a paper towel over utensils and bowls with lotion waiting to be scented or bottles. Still, I can see a fly land on the edge of something I'm working on and it drives me nuts. If they do happen to land on my actual lotion I'll scoop a little off from where they were.

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Kathy I do pretty much the same as you do, but I use rubbing alcohol to spray down everything after I wash countertops with bleach.. Spray bowls with ra, let dry.. We don't have a problem with flies here so I can't answer that question... Yes I wear gloves
    Barbara

3. Spray bowls with ra, What is ra?? :blush2 I know when you tell me I'll go DAH!!!! :sigh

Mary Lou

4. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Rubbing alcohol
    Barbara

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah we used rubbing alcohol to clean the rooms between minor surgeries at the dr. office. It's what I also use. Vicki

6. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Hmmm, I already keep RA in a spray bottle for my soap. Never thought to use it for this. Glad I asked.