Smelly discharge

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by trnubian, Jun 6, 2008.

1. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Ok Maria has had some funny looking discharge over the winter but carried her triplets to term and seems fine other than that. They are all nice and healthy. Now she is having the normal discharde that they all do after they kid. But I was clipping her the 2 days ago and it stinks. It smells almost sweet and like a old dirty dog at the same time. I did put my fingers inside her when she was kidding but nothing that would require antibiotics...

I will head out and take her temp but should I go ahead and give her a round of Penn.?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would have done a uterine flush on her so you couldn't blame anything on this.

But yes other than old nasty stuff left on a tail you just trimmed up, new discharge should not smell. Instead of smelling her, stick your fingers in, swish in and out and smell your fingers....wear gloves if it grosses you out, if your fingers smell than yes I would put her on antibiotics. I would also use banamine to keep the inflammation in her uterus down.

Alwasy use kidding (with the cervic open) as a time to clean up old problems does are having. Vicki

3. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Thanks for the info I will start her on Penn and banamine today.