Small Doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sybil, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Sybil

Sybil New Member

I purchased last fall a very small alpine doe and buck kid. They were June kids so now are just over 1 year of age. The buck has blossomed into a very impressive individual and is as large as my other yearling buck. The doe has stopped growing. My April dam raised kids are as big as she is now. She has been wormed and treated for cocci and I run fecals on her monthly. She has free choice orchard grass hay, free choice pasture, and she is grained (wet/dry cob mixed with calf manna and beet pulp) once a day. Tried alfalfa pellets but she would just leave them. Could get some alfalfa hay and feed her and the growing kids separate. Thank goodness she wasn't bred! Afraid to breed her to my alpine buck this year. Will probably breed her to a nigerian this fall. Don't want to hold her over another year. Any tips to get her growing again?
    Sue

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Well first of course not all goats grow up to be breeding stock. Do you want mini alpines? If not cull her.

Alot of kids have such poor starts in life they will never grow to their potential, which is what this goat sounds like.

A yearling who is the size of 3 month old kids from this year has something more wrong with her than cocci or worms could have done. Vicki

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Are there any chances that her sire is actually an ND ?

Whim

4. Sybil

Sybil New Member

I don't know the breeder to have any nigerians. She was a late kid that was bottle fed and probably fed grain and local grass hay and had to compete with the other kids who were older. Your right that a small doe who you can't breed to a regular size buck is not worth anything. Her brother blossomed and is normal size and she kept up in growth rate until the last 2-3 months. The breeder says she would buy her back so I guess I just need to make a tough decision on her. Thanks for the advice.
    Sue