Skinny Goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Aug 22, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Are the nubian species typically skinny? I have one who is only 80 lbs. right now, she was a first time freshner and gave birth in March some time. I wormed her (quest & valbazen) and she is on good feed. We have had her for 3 weeks now, dealth with the whole diarrahea thing (poop still is not normal, but not liquid, more clumpy berries), but she looks too skinny?

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Did you fecal after you wormed to make sure it is working. I would reworm with cydectin then again in 10 days .

i would also give her a round of coccidia meds . Bo-se vit b injections. Slowly get this girl on good feed. get her on some alfalfa pellets to hopefully get her to grow. I would also have her on grain either whole or a dairy mix.

Patty

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

O I do not even breed my girls until they are close to 100lbs so she is either way small or way skinny. When was she born ?

If in milk I would dry her up.

Patty

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

So true Patty. Waaayy too small/skinny.

Our first freshening yearlings are upwards of 135#, out first freshening 2 year-olds 165+.

Sara

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And no matter if she was normal or stunted like this, you can't fatten up a doe in milk, and you can't expect miricles when you purchase stock like this. Milk her, feed her well, know you likely bought pig in a poke :) she will never grow to her potential so be happy with it. When you dry her up keep feeding her well, and well is good alfalfa hay or horse quality grass hay and alfalfa pellets. A good grain mix that supplies her with the carbs, protein, energy and fat to grow and thrive. Maybe by next year at this time you can come on and tell me I don't know what I am talking about, she has grown a foot and is 50 pounds heavier and milking up a storm...that would be very good news, but very unlikely news. Vicki

6. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I guess I'm at a loss here. I bought the goats, did not do much research before purchasing. Vicki walked me through the whole de-worming thing (cydectin then valbazen 10 days later) have given b12 injections, fc alfalfa pellets, fc goat minerals and a good 18% goat food (country acres). They have fc fescue and most of the day pasture. These girls are both being milked every 12 hours, I get 1/2 gallon per day total. We need the milk (7 children) and I certainly want to do the right thing for these girls. She has actually put on weight since we bought her (now approx. 80 lb.s) the other one is 100 lbs., is mostly black with red tinges to her coat (which I was reading in 101 that that is a sign of copper issues. I was planning on breeding both in a few months after I finish with their cd&t shots and I just finished trimming their hooves. Direct me please, should I stop milking her? Fatten her up so she can be breed in the spring? aaahhh I just want some milk

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

This is were doing research comes in and spending the extra money counts.

More than likely she came from a back yard breeder type who do not know there a** from there elbow , Sorry if I am wrong .

I would not be milking or spending the money on feed for goats giving that little milk. I would dry them up or cut my losses sell them and get some good stock.

Ok with 7 children maybe you should consider and alpine or saanen . In general they will give you alot more milk . Nubians will give you more butterfat.

Patty

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Or see if you can find a LaMancha that will give lots of milk. I love my Nubians but they produce alot less than my one LaMancha and my Mini Manchas will produce as much as the Nubians.
    Add her to your herd and dry up this 80lb doe to fatten her up.

9. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I Always forget about the Lamanchas.

10. NubianSoaps.com

Since you need the milk, milk them. They will milk more next freshening on your better management. Just keep doing what you are doing and breed them for spring kids, their daughters which you will raise on prevention for worms and cocci will outgrow their dams the first 9 months and be much bigger, healthier milkers for you the following year, at which time you can sell the dams if they haven't grown out better or start milking alot better.

Any goat sold is going to milk alot less at their new homes. But yes these does are shockingly small. But you have to do what you have to do. Or you could breed the larger one now to kid the end of Feb and breed the lesser weight doe in November for April kids that way you won't be without milk period.

When you hear us say how we don't give grain to our dry does, disregard this, and just keep up with the grain. Don't forget to worm with Cydectin before you breed them. And do a winter worming also. Vicki

11. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I just wormed with quest not even 2 weeks ago and followed-up with valbazen. I noticed too that the whites of their eyes are barely pink? Poor things...I probably will keep milking them and feeding them as you said Vicki. Should I get fecal samples and the CAE testing? What should I do for Cocci for them now...they are 18 mos.

12. NubianSoaps.com

You would see scouring if you had cocci in that age of doe. But yes do a fecal, see if you wormer is working. And yes before your does kid, run CAE. You could put off CAE testing until after they are bred then use biotracking.com and get CAE Testing and blood testing for pregnancy done all with the same vial of blood. Vicki