Skin irritation?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

We noticed, the other day, that Toggy (Coso, that's lil bit :)) had some blood on her head. I figured she was just scratching and scraped it. Well, we then noticed it was bloody again the next day and thought maybe she scraped the scab off or whatever, but then a couple days later it was bloody again, and when I was trimming her feet, I noticed that back of one of her feet, kinda between the toes, in the back, is all red and irritated too. I later say her laying their scraping it with her teeth. So she has some kind of skin irritation. What would this most likely be? She should be 2 1/2 months pregnant as well. She doesn't seem to have this anywhere else, not to the point of redness or anything, her other feet don't have it either. It's her left front foot that's she's chewing on.

Now that I think about it, she's scratched her head some from the beginning. Sometimes I would see her scrubbing her head on trees etc, but not to the point of bleeding like she is now. I looked around on her skin and didn't see any lice, can you see them like you can see horse lice? Nobody else seems to have a problem. Could it be allergy?

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

You can't always easily see small lice, or it could be mites. I'd treat her with Ivermectin. Kathie

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I was thinking mites too while reading this...mine have gotten them before and not hard to get rid of either.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Sounds like leg mites to me and she's transferring them to her head and scratching. Anything with permetherin, horse spray, or even sevin dust. Ivomec will work...but the spraying or dusting the areas would be a little better.
    Kaye

5. ellie

ellie New Member

Anytime goats have skin problems, I think it's a red flag to look at mineral deficiencies...particularly copper, but also zinc. Check for any other of the copper signs before making final decisions!

Best wishes,
    Ellie

6. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Well, I have thought her to possibly be copper deficient before. I did bolus her a few months ago, only a half bolus (I'm a scaredy cat), but I guess it probably has been 5 months. Hmm.

I bought several tubes of horse ivermectin that were on sale. I always forget how much to give a goat, is it 3 times as much as is measured for the horses?

7. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

I really believe that bolusing boosts their immunity to parasites of all kinds. I bolused every six months for 2 years (1/2 calf bolus for an adult goat) Now just once a year. My herd queen (she is black and it seems to be more noticable with black skin) gets really weird big dandruff when it is about time to bolus again. I even notice that they are perkier when they have had their copper. Shannon