Skin infection on bred doe, suggestions appreciated.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LMonty, Feb 23, 2008.

1. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Vinca is a 4 yo Nubian. Approx 160 lbs (but i really need to weight tape her, which I'll do before I do any interventions). Shes heavy bred with her third frshening, and I dont have a due date, but it wont be long now. With her size, I'm thinking at least twins, and although she hasnt uddered up yet, her teats are sizing up and she looks like she dropped a bit since yesterday. Acting absolutely normal, eating and drinking and playing well, just her loveable self.

I saw bloody looking matted area on her left butt area, and thought maybe it was discharge before kidding. I just checked her- and was really surprised. Its not vaginal,its something skin related.

A several inch rectangle apppears to have a nasty skin infection, and when I was parting hair to try and see just what the sking looked like, a doime sized peiceof hair just pulled right out leaving a raw oozy open patch. Bloody with a pus like looking exudate, but not actively bleeding. Looks like a nasty skin infection to me.

Looked her over good, and shes got a larger patch of it along her left barrrel, just about where the milk vein runs, and it extends up into the area where her back leg starts. Didnt find any more. No obvious signs of lice or other skin parasites, I didnt see anything moving. She loves to lay outside and has been laying down a lot more as she most does do when heavy bred. Its been wet and cold and fairly rotten out for the last couple of weeks. She has a nice warm run in with clean straw, but doesnt use it that much unless its actively raining.

Copper bolused a couple of months back. Up to date on worming. Funny thing is her hair seems to be curling on some unaffected areas, just at the ends, almost as if its been singed. None of the other does have anything like this. The patch on her barrel area is just about where I gave her CD&T shot about two weeks ago.

I'm wondering if it could be an inj site infection thats spreading like a staph or strep sometimes does.

I need to go back out there, trim her down, wash the areas up with something and I'm thinking an antibiotic inj might be a good idea. I hate to do it with her so heavy bred. But I dont want this to get worse, or go systemic, that would be worse than any risk to the kids from the antibiotics.

What would you give or do about this? Any suggestions really would be very much appreciated. Vets office isnt open, I already checked.

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

It does sound somewhat like a staph infection. I would clip and clean the areas with mild soapy water or chlorhexidine solution. Neosporin can't hurt either. Penicillin would treat staph but I'm not sure what is safe in a pregnant doe. I would treat topically for starters and see how it goes.

Beth

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Got any clippers? Clip all the hair off the spot and around it. Scrub with betadine, Novasan, or chlorhexiderm. Dry and apply a topical...DRY spray. Fural or aluma-cote. As you scrub you should remove the scab. That's best. You decide if it's bad enough for antibiotics. If so...Penn-G would be my choice.
    Kaye

4. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Thanks, guys. I had totally forgotten the clippers- Ive got an old pair of WAHL and took them out along with everything else to get the job done. Wish I remembered I had them before the other two girls freshened!

So the first thing I did was dairy clip the little lamancha. Gosh shes a sweetheart, she could care less what I do to her as long as theres alfalfa pellets on front of her! Trimmed hooves while I had her up there too, so shes good to go!

Remeber I thought Vinca was aout 160? Make that 2,160! The old biddy absolutely REFUSED to get on the milk stand. I can't get her up there alone, and she wasnt standing still for me doing anything on the ground, after our disagreement with the milk stand. I'll need to get DH to help and try again in a bit when he can give me some time.

Ive got chlorhexidine and added some tea tree oil to it (Its active against even MRSA at 5% or greater concentration) and I'll wash with that. No spray here, darn it! I just never thought to pick it up and all the feedstores and such were closed when i called to see. But I do have a bottle of sulmet! I can pat some of that on it and spray with some dermaplast to cover, the sulmet is active agaisnt both staph and strep and should work ok (I hope) I'll let you know how it goes, I really appreciate the help.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

not sure I would use the dermaplast you want it to dry up.

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If she does wind up needing systemic antibiotics, PennG is safe for pregnant does. I had a doe with an infected pastern and the vet prescribed PennG. She kept the pregnancy and delivered healthy twins on her due date. Kathie

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Dry..... don't cover it. Chlorhexideen is perfect and love the idea of the tea tree oil. No balms or salves allowed in our area, it makes the perfect warm enviornment underneath it to grow staph :)

It can really be anything, out with my girls today, they are soo filthy, I mean icky filthy! You would think they were born in a barn or something :)

Boost her immunity with some bo-se. Honestly nothing really much helps, the sun will take care of all of this! vicki

8. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Whats a sun? :) Thought i might have seen one for a few minutes earlier today, but its been so long since we've seen on, I'm not sure! LOL

Well, what I did was get DH to help me put her up on the milkstand. I weight taped her, and now know why I was having such a hard time myself- shes 195 lbs, the last notch on the tape! Probably really more with that belly...

I did a quickie dairy clip first while the clippers were still clean. Then
    timmed off everything. It's a mess but I'd guess its a staph. More of it than i thought. So glad the clippers were mentioned,I was just going to trim with a scissors and that would never have worked well.

Gave her 2 cc Bo-Se (thanks Vicki, I had already given it when I saw your post, but its good to know I was on track with that) 1 cc of Fortified B complex, and and 10 cc of Pen. Its the benzathine/ procaine mix, 150,000 units of each per ml, my plain pen is way outdated. I hope that wasnt too much, but with her weight, i figured it was OK. I'll pick up a bottle of plain Pen on Monday.
    Washed the area with the hibiclens and tea tree oil twice, and rinsed a little and then scrubbed on the sulmet. She ate alfalfa pellets thru the whole thing and it didnt seem to bother her much at all.

She had CD&T and Bo-Se about 2 1/2 weeks ago, so I didnt give her more tetanus, since it doesnt look like a tetanus prone wound and her immunity ought to be pretty high since she just had it. I do have antitoxin if I should give it? She really needed a hoof trim too, was going to do it after she freshened and I hated to stress her more, but I did it anyway, while I had her on the stand and could get it done.

I'll get it washed and Sulmetted (new word!) again tomorrow, probably morning and evening. Give more Pen tomorrow afternoon. I'm guessing I'll need to give it for at least 5 days, longer if necessary? Probios, too.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

the sulmet is active agaisnt both staph and strep and should work ok

Sulmet???

Also I use any 300,000 unit penn at 3cc per 50 pounds subq. And how about trying something drying like benedryl orally. vicki

10. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Sulmet is a weird choice I know, but I didnt have anything dry to use on it, so figured i'd give to a try as a topical antibiotic until I can get some Furall spray Monday. For some dumb reason I never remembered to buy any. My bad.
    Hmmm at that dose I was a little light, I'll up it to 12 cc tomorrow.Thanks!