Skin crud??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by CarlinsDarlin, May 17, 2008.

1. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Disclaimer :)
    I know. My minerals are not great (yes, Vicki, they're red). As soon as I post this, I'm heading out the door - 30+ miles to the only feed store in the area who carries a better mineral. One that has been recommended (Onyx). I have not been able to find Teck-Master anywhere within 60 miles. This is the other option I have, and I'm going to get it.

That being said, we have some kind of "skin crud" in the barn. I noticed a dry spot on Sugar a week or so ago. It had a scab on it. I thought maybe she'd gotten hurt. I picked at it, and the scab came off, but there was no blood or wound underneath. Then I thought, "Ok, she did get hurt, but it's healed..." But now those same scabby looking spots are also on Sugar's lower back right leg. It has to be some kind of parasite or something. If an immune problem, the new minerals should help, I would hope, since I know lack of copper causes all kinds of immune problems.

Spice also has a nickel-sized bald spot on her right side. Maybe a ringworm? or related to these scabby spots? Maybe I just didn't notice till the scab fell off and it took hair with it? I don't know...

Now I'm worried that the scabby spot on the baby's ear that was infected is related to this. I'm off to get a 50-lb bag of the new mineral (the only size it comes in - even though I only have 4 adult goats). In addition, can anyone think of anything else that might be causing this? And what I can do to help?

I treated everyone with permethrin two days ago. I'll be cleaning out the barn entirely this weekend and putting down new bedding (though this bedding isn't all that old anyway). Anything else you recommend?

Thanks,
    Kathy

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would give everyone some Ivermectin to make sure you don't have a mite. Treat the areas with tea tree oil, make sure it is real. Just swab the area, this way if it's a fungus the tea tree oil will kill it.

Most things like this are virus. Young goats get orf in their ears, makes the inside of the ears look like sandpaper and they can make their ears look tattered on the edges. Or they can get soremouth, same virus that gives you pimples on their mouth, on their feet from scrubbing at their mouths and on their teats or bellys where the feet moves across to reach the face. Contagious Icthima is the same virus but is usually seen as patches on the body. There is nothing you can do about any of this, it has to run it's course. The teat tree oil or simply spraying the area with chlorhexideen will keep secondary infection at bay. When a scab falls of there is nothing but fresh pink skin under neath the scab, but the scab also contains the virus, which sits in the barn and under the soil to reinfect new goats who do not have immunity to soremouth. So the does who have this, make sure you use their colostrum on all the goatlings you are going to keep before the kid is 12 hours old, this will innoculate the kids so you won't have an outbreak again.

Now if this is just a simple mite, the Ivermectin will kill it and the places will clear up quickly with just the spraying of chlorhexideen.

You don't want to mess with things like this because you can catch it, but also if you give antibiotics that aren't needed or weaken the does immune system, or cause irritation at the site of this virus it can make the doe get pemphgus, which is like shingles, where the bodies immune system goes whacko, and she rebuilds skin faster than she replaces it. Vicki

3. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Ok thanks Vicki.

Just got back with the new mineral. They love it. They've been eating it like candy since I put it out. Well, either they love it, or they're really lacking in something they know is in there... hopefully it will help with the host of problems we've been having. And by the way, it's not red :). It's black.

I'll treat with the Ivermectin. I wondered if it might be mites. We had some in the barn last year (before the goats were there) because I have chickens that run in and out. I sprayed the whole barn down with liquid sevin at the time to get rid of them. I also have tea tree oil and clorhexidine - got them when Sugar had the staph on her udder. I'll do that too.

The babies ears on the inside look fine. I thought actually that maybe one of the bigger goats had bitten the baby's ear because it's just a sore on the outside. But then I thought it might be a mite, too.

Boy I hope it's not a virus. :/ But thanks again.
    Kathy

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

spiders the black wooly ones that supposedly are good spiders but look at the spots do you see two fang marks (two pin holes)? I had a problem with this down the spine area of neck and backs on 3 goats didn't take them to a show because of it and there at the show were some other goats with it and the lady told me what it was. so in checking yes these spiders were biting my goats that would go underneath the trailer and lay.

5. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Sondra,
    The black wooly ones with a white dot on their backs? Those little buggers are everywhere around here.
    Kathy

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep and makes pus and takes for ever to heal up think it makes them itch also

7. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Okay now I definitely need to clean out and spray the barn. Those things ARE everywhere. And pus is exactly what was in the little one's ear spot. It wasn't like Sugar's spots. This weather has been great for hatching all kinds of bugs. Even if it's something else and not mites, spiders or other 6-legged critters, I'm sure a thorough cleaning of the barn wouldn't hurt anything...

One more thing to add to my to-do list.
    K

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If it is the spiders you will defiently see two fang marks. abt 3/16 in apart