skin bumps? what is this?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by CarlinsDarlin, Mar 31, 2008.

1. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Hi everyone,
    Another question. I have a buck - the same one I mentioned who was having a gunky eye a while ago. Well, the neosporin seemed to have worked. The gunk stopped, his eye is no longer draining, but now there's another problem. Under that same eye, he has developed bumps. They sort of look like warts. Theres two or three under that eye. I've been checking them and keeping an eye on them, and there's be no change in size. There's no weeping from them or anything. They just look like warts.

Well, in the last couple days, he's gotten 3 more spots. Two on his nose, and one developing inside his nostril. Unlike the ones under his eye, the hair is falling off around these.

Here's a couple pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's been so wet around here, I worry it may be staph. I called the local goat vet (who is 45 minutes away). He doesn't do farm calls anymore. He wants me to bring him in to look at the spots. Ringo won't fit in my goat crate (he's too big) and I don't have a horse trailer. I might be able to borrow one, but DH works everyday until 6PM and I'll need help to load him. I thought I'd check to see what you guys think before I try to figure out how toload and transport him.

Any ideas what it could be? If it is staph, the only antibiotic I have on hand is penicillan. Is that strong enough, or is there something I can get without prescription that would help (staph or not)? The vet won't sell me anything without looking at him first... I'm at a loss.

Thanks,
    Kathy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would go get some bendadine wash at the drug store and wash the areas first before I hauled to the vet. Also check this boy for mites/lice and treat accordingly.

3. Rose

Rose New Member

Here's orf pictures.

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I have no idea what that is, but he sure is a handsome fellow! :)

5. Rose

Rose New Member

Orf is a skin disease.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

this doesn't look like orf to me but I don't really know.

7. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Lord I hope it's not orf! :( Nobody else seems to have anything like it. He does live by himself, though, but he's in an adjoining pen with the girls, and regularly sticks his head through the fence to "visit". I bought him in December and he lived with the girls until late January when he was moved to his own quarters. (I wanted all the girls bred at that time anyway.) I would think if he were a carrier that everyone would be showing signs by now? Or am I wrong?

Ringo's bedding hasn't been changed in a while, and it may be that he has lice or mites. I was told that they're bad around here this year, and I dusted the girls a month or so ago with Sevin, but I neglected to dust Ringo. I'll try that. And, when I can get him up on the stand I'll try washing downt the spots too. We need to get him up on the stand anyway to check his foot (he had a case of foot rot starting that I've been cleaning and soaking in bleach water), so I'll see if I can get his face washed at that time, too.

BTW, thanks Stacy! I think he's a handsome fellow too! :)
    Kathy

8. Lindsey's experimental has had this problem. We thought she had orf but the Vet said to use Betadine solution and some benadryl cream, it has worked well on this problem. She has an allergy to whatever is in our hay. She is also a hay rutter which causes hay seeds to embed in her muzzle and nose. Daily checks have made a difference. Looks like what she has been going through, but I'm no expert. Tammy

9. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Hmm,
    We did just buy some new hay in the last month (March 1) - I thought I was doing well, since it's bermuda - but it's different than what we had cut off our place (we didn't store enough, obviously). Maybe he's allergic? He's a hay rutter too, but there shouldn't be anything sticky there to stick in his nose. Anyway, thanks everyone. I'm keeping an eye on it and going to try the wash/benadryl/dusting route before I do anything else.
    Kathy