Sizing of Soap Bars

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by VickiLynne, Jul 16, 2008.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

I am new to soapmaking. I have only made a few batches and I am addicted. My question is, How big/small do you make your bars? How thick do you make them? I have a mold that is 1.5-2 inches deep but that seems too thick. Also, a friend of mine gave me some molds that she got on clearance at Joann's Fabrics for 97 cents. They are plastic with 4 heart designs. Do you have to spray them with Pam or no. I don't want to get soap stuck in them. Does the Pam make the soap slimy/oily?

Thanks,

Vicki in NC

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I use mostly log molds and slice them 1" thick. They weigh between 4.5 and 5 ounces. If you have a slab mold that you think is too deep then just don't fill it all the way.

With individual molds I have used mineral oil. I think pam might saponify in with the rest of your oils but I don't really know. Sometimes I don't oil them at all and they still come out after I pop them in the freezer. But I try to remember to oil them just in case. LOL

3. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Thanks Kathy,

Another question. How long and wide are your bars?

Vicki in NC

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Mine are roughly 3.5 x 2.5 depending on what I line my mold with. LOL My new silicone mold I think is a little off but those are the dimensions I aim for.

5. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Thanks for your reply Kathy. That is the size I was thinking too.

Vicki in NC

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

My bars are the same dimensions and wt as Kathy's and it works great for me!