Silly vet

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Leo, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Leo

Leo New Member

So I need more Bo-se for my herd and everyone is healthy but the vet won't give me the prescription without seeing them so I scheduled for a fecal.

My vet was just silly, first he lectured me about how Bo-Se is useless in cattle and I don't need it, how it won't do anything, etc. And when he found out that I scheduled the apt. for a fecal, he said that it is useless in goats, they all have worms, and just stick to FAMANCHA(sp?). (I always thought fecals were an effective tool) So after some arguing he agreed to order me a bottle, I just wonder what he's going to charge me for it, as he didn't know yet.

He did say though to stick with cydectin for a few years till it's ineffective to reduce worm resistance and not to rotate wormers. He's a nice guy luckily, and though with alot of protest, agreed to sell me some Bo-Se. Why do vets have to be so difficult?
    Megan

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Because they know it all just like medical doctors...god forbid someone know something that they don't...kinda like my dh...:)

Autumn

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I got to see firsthand what Bo-Se can do for calves, this year. We had a calf that was breech and she had to be pulled by the vet. She could not stand upright for a day or so, because her joints were all knuckling. I decided to give her a shot of Bo-Se, and within 24 hours, she was able to walk around some, by 48 hours she was up on her feet and legs pretty normally. Once she was able to move around and nurse more, then she just took off. Several weeks later, had a calf born with some knuckling in the pasterns, so I gave him Bo-Se and within the 24 hour period, you would have never known he had a problem.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep all they can see is it is Selenium and toxic for the most part they don't see that the Vit E makes it useful and non toxic

5. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

yep vets by me won't sell me any either.... i have to buy the gel online. ,or that i'm crazy and bolus... goats don't need that kind of stuff :sniffle

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

"""" he said that it is useless in goats, they all have worms, and just stick to FAMANCHA(sp?). M"""'

I sure hope that you don't ever have to use this vet for something really serious in your goats.

JMO, Whim

7. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Ya, I would be checking out different vets after that!

8. Leo

Leo New Member

KJFarm, I had the same problem when I first started with goats, so I just didn't buy the whole Bo-Se is useless. I'm just glad he would prescribe it, the nearest vet willing to look at goats is about 21/2hrs. away. And the other vet will only sell bo-se per shot, not just sell me a bottle or prescription.

He's been good for our older dog though :biggrin, but you guys know where I'm turning if there's trouble... here!

Megan

9. Nancy

Nancy New Member

We are very lucky because our vet will order just about anything we need.

10. eliya

eliya New Member

LOL!

Once, when I went to get health papers for a goat who was being sold, the vet checked her temperature (this was a young kid who had been riding in the car for a while to get the the vet office) and when he saw 104 he said "She has a bit of a temperature, so I think we better put her on antibiotics." Politely as I could, I told him that that was not an overly high temperature for a goat. He did NOT want to admit that he was wrong and was going to insist on the anti-biotic. I told him both the buyer and I would NOT want to do that so he reluctantly agreed. He did give me the health papers - he knew that goat was fine! A vet who doesn't know the normal temperature for a goat isn't much good!!! I really lost confidence in him after that!

11. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Well. We have decided that we do not get along with our vet so well............. He refused to come to our farm when we REALLY needed him, and so we now know that we are on our own, and soooooooo, we come to YOU GUYS! And.........I must say...rather proudly,) that we have not lost a goat since!! THANK YOU! :)

12. Leo

Leo New Member

pokyone42, our vet also has the no farm visit except emergency policy, but when there is an emergency like in my beloved cow, she was down 7am, called the vet they said that a vet might be able to come by around 5pm! The lady vet, partner to my goat vet, stopped by at 2pm, and said she might have a flipped stomach or milk fever, she didn't know, but gave her some antibiotics. :sigh They are the only vet in the nearest three counties that'll see alternative livestock, aka non-horses. We do have a vet school nearby that used to see goats but they are pretty bad and you have to check your credit card at the door to see a vet student, for example health papers for show is $150 per animal without any blood tests. ugh.

You guys that have good vets are super lucky! But I am happy we have such a wealth of knowledge to draw from here. :D

13. eliya

eliya New Member

Don't you just hate that "just give them an antibiotic" cop out!? I know antibiotics can do wonders for infections and such things, but they aren't any good for other things. In fact, my belief is that it often makes things worse - kills all the good bacteria in their gut and weakens their immune system.

Around here we have mostly cattle vets and they won't even look at the goats. I am fortunate to have a dog/horse/small animal vet that is willing to work with the goats, but she still doesn't know a whole lot about them. It is a little strange when you go to a vet for help and you know more about fixing the problem than they do...

14. SamSpade

SamSpade New Member

I have a great vet. She knows goats and runs her own dairy farm. She makes farm calls and is lousy about writting up the bill (she doesn't bother charging for everything).

They may not be everywhere, but there are good vets out there.

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I agree with the good vets. But they are few and far between. So many don't want to know how to treat goats...there's no money it it. If they did to a dog what some do to a goat...it would be double to triple the cost. It's a known fact that large animal work is not most of their income.

With that said....I have a wonderful vet! Only problem I live in Ark. and he lives in New Mexico. But, he's never more than a phone call away. Drug vet doesn't even ask...just hands it over. BUT....I don't go in with the attitude that I know more than he. I ask for a drug and if he thinks another drug will work better...I go with his advice. BUT...there again...we've done surgeries together and he trusts me to use the drugs wisely.

My advice is to keep looking until you find a vet that you trust and will work with you. Same as a MD. There's a few vets that I would trust to do surgery on ME and a few MD's that I won't let near me!
    Kaye

16. A good vet is worth his or her weight in gold. I love my vet, she is the best :)
    Becky

17. missanna

missanna Guest

If your goats get enough selenium and vitamin E in their diet they shouldn't need bo-se anyway. Just like in humans, most vitamin supplements just make your/the goat's urine very expensive. If they get enough in the diet, their body will just get rid of all that expensive medication.

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't believe this to be true you never or should say most people never ever run their feeds in to be tested for selenium or copper./ and you really don't know what part of the country the grains came from. Now days people rely on supplemental feeding of grain and alflalfa , goats don't have free range of thousands of acres to pick and chose from to get the nutrients needed. and very few areas are even suficient in selenium. Thus we give BOSE and copper bolus

19. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Thank you Sondra.

Misanna, I notice in your signature that you don't even own goats yet "trying to pick a breed". Your comments are irresponsible and incorrect and if you had actually bred goats for any amount of time you would have realized this and hopefully not posted the comments you did.

Most of the United States is deficient in selenium so therefore we give our goats BoSe.

Sara

20. missanna

missanna Guest

I haven't dealt with goats, but I have dealt with other livestock. Nutrition works in pretty much the same way with all mammals, though each system requires slightly different nutrition. My suggestion applies to any animal- if you feed supplements and it is also in their diet, their body does not need it. I did not say to not give it at all- just not if it is in the diet. In my experience, many many people give supplements that are not necessary to a diet, and therefore waste time and money.