Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I put two of my does in with the buck on Saturday, and I think they were in heat. I watched pretty closely, but I never thought that he really bred them, although they were mounted pretty good a couple of times. This morning, I noticed a thick white substance just poking out of their vagina, both of them. I thought I remembered reading somewhere before that this was a sign that it "took". Neither one of them want to be with the buck anymore, so I didn't think it was a sign of being in heat. I remerber having this last year, and all my does were indeed bred. Anyone else have this or know anything about it?

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
I would think that if they have a creamy discharge and they have been in with the buck they are bred :) Vicki

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The discharge is not a sign "it took". It can mean several things. 1. They were serviced by a buck. 2. It's the mucous discharge from a pooling on the vaginal floor. 3. The doe was in heat. (bred or not)

:really...I've started to AI a doe on her second heat and found a white blob of thick mucous at the cervical opening. Left over from being in heat...and I KNOW she wasn't serviced.

:biggrin Back to wondering. :lol

BUT, chances are really good since they were with a buck and they stood to be mounted. Best bet... go Sara's route.
Ugh, I've got 14 does to pull blood on at the end of the month...JUST TO BE SURE. ;)
Kaye

G

·
Hey Kaye,

I will trade ya...i just got about 80 to pull blood on!!! That does not included the ones that we are going to put the lights on for the fall freshening. A far trade?

ken

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
:biggrin NOT IN THIS LIFETIME!!! Do I look like I want to take on a 300 ct. milking herd. NOT EVEN! AND especially in Michigan, in the winter! :rofl

But, I know you will do them a good job....ya' know what your doing. I'd be overwhelmed just walking in the barn. ;)
I'll just pull blood on my few and smile. :D
Kaye

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
aRealdairyman said:
That does not included the ones that we are going to put the lights on for the fall freshening. A far trade?

ken
Oh, so is that how you all get the does bred "off-season"? And here I thought it was because they were Nubians...(We can breed our Boers off-season, so thunk that
it was an African origin thing.)
So this is kind of like putting a light in the chicken house to keep egg production up during the winter?

Camille

1 - 7 of 7 Posts