sick wether 106.8 temp

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by birdiegirl, Jun 4, 2008.

1. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

8 week old wether, on lambar 2x daily but eating some alfalfa pellets and browse. Couldn't find him yesterday, he was hiding up under the shed. Ate normally last night, just seemed a bit quiet.
    This morning drank about 2 sips from lambar, nibbled a few alfalfa pellets, interested in drinking water.

Unfortunately I was unable to tend to him until this afternoon. Temp is 106.8. No nasal/eye discharge, lungs sound clear although breathing fast got stressed out when handled for treatment. No scours. Does not act stiff, just *bleah*. Does not seem painful. No bloat.

I gave banamine and SQ fluids. Is this pneumonia? I only have penicillin on hand. What kind of antibiotic does he need- that I can get tomorrow?

Or, since he is a wether, I have no home lined up for him, and I suppose his ultimate destiny is the freezer, should I take care of him now......

Donna

2. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Donna,

You can treat him with Naxcel/excenel (vet only) or go with Biomyicin and with both use the banamine. Excenel is 1cc/50lbs.
    Biomyicin is 6cc/100 lbs.

My take on a wether is that you may not want to spend a great deal of money on him, on the other hand he is good to practice your goat husbandry skills on so you have the confidence and experience when an important doe kid is sick. Not sure I would eat a kid that was ill - if you butcher him, you may want to give him to the dogs.

Camille

3. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

Camille,
    He was probably destined to be dog food in the long run, if I was unable to fid a pet home for him.
    That banamine is sho-powerful stuff! I just came back in from milking, and he is much brighter. He drank a decent amount of milk for me, and followed me around the pen, sniffing in curiousity. I will check his temp before I go to bed and again in the morning.
    We'll see how he is tomorrow, I am headed out early and will pick up antibiotics for him.

4. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

just curious.. how was he wethered? Banded?

5. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

He was castrated surgically, I did it- gave tetanus antitoxin at the same time. The area healed up with no problems.

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

With that much of a temp he has aninfection going on . Start asap with antibiotics , bo-se to boost his immune system and also vit b

Patty

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The only temp that high I have ever seen was in a kid with navel/joint ill. Keep up the banamine and get naxcel like Camille said. vicki

8. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I had a doeling once with a 107 temp when we were pretty new to goats. I still am not sure what it was, but we treated her with various things. Gave Banamine for sure. It just finally went down and she started to eat again.
    Keep a good eye on him!

9. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

His temp went back up yesterday and I heard him coughing. I was able to get biomycin (thanks Lynn!) because I could not get Excenel. Gave him biomycin and more banamine.
    He is a bit more alert this morning, temp was 103.5.
    I will continue the biomycin and banamine again tonight.

Is the biomycin given just once daily for 5 days?
    Can I only give the banamine for 3 consecutive days?

Donna

10. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

found on a search...

3.5cc/100#'s every day for at least 5 days. Some problems need it for 7-10 days.

Are you giving a full does of banamine? Can you do a 1/2 does to just take the edge off??

11. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

This was his 3rd day of banamine; I have been giving him a full dose. He perked up quite a bit this afternoon after his banamine shot/2nd shot biomycin. Drank some milk and nibbled on some alfalfa pellets.

12. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

If we use Biomyicin we use 6cc/100 lb, 1X day for 5 days. Banamine for 3 days. Give probios to replace what you are killing with the antibiotic.

camille