sick newborn questions (this is kinda long-sorry)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by pokyone42, Sep 15, 2008.

1. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

We recently got a newborn Boer buck. He is 11 days old today, the 15th. He was healthy, active, and nursed his mom for 23 hours, who had triplets, and the previous owner made sure that he had colostrum within the first 3 hours of life. The goat farm he came from was almost spotless, (I wish ours was as clean. Not that ours is dirty, mind you, just not as spotless. lol.) and all of the goats were very healthy and alert. (Ours are all healthy, as well.)

We were impressed with everything that we saw on that farm. His navel was dipped at birth, etc...all other babies looked great...there were about 6 little ones...and a group of about 20, 5-6 month old babies as well.. (They were separated into different paddocks. The grown does and bucks also looked wonderful... water pails and pens were clean, goats in good flesh, etc...)

Our little guy was one of triplets, and a good-sized kid at 9.5 pounds.) They have ALOT of goats, and we met MANY of them. ALL looked VERY healthy, and robust. We did not see any problems at all with management or cleanliness or anything at all, other than a few hooves needed trimming, but they were not bad at all, and they were the big stinky bucks, and so that is kind of understandable, I suppose, this time of year. lol...

(I tend to be VERY picky about how people treat goats, and so have a sharp eye for those things that bug me about decent goat-care.) This farm was awesome! :) We were VERY pleased to meet some very sweet and well-cared for goats who are just as spoiled as ours! :)

Well, we drove 3 hours to go and get little "Joe," on a VERY hot summer day last week. (I am sure he was stressed from the long hot ride, even though he did not seem to be....I held him in my lap for the ride home, and he just slept the whole way.)

When we arrived home, he seemed to be doing great. He urinated alot, and then did that orange "milk-poop" and so we knew he had gotten enough colostrum to at least pass the meconium, as that was long-gone before we met him. :)

We gave him 1/4 cc of Bo-Se immedietaly, and have been feeding him fresh goat milk from our 2 Alpine does. He has been getting fed 4 times a day, as much as he wants each time. Each day, the amount has increased for the most part, as he has been gaining weight and doing great. He is about 13-14 pounds now, I would guesstimate.

We disbudded him at 3 days old, (like we do all of our kids,) and all was well... (We gave Tetanus anti-toxin right after disbudding, like we always do, )....the disbudding was brutal as always, but he was fine, and seemed to get over it quickly.

Well, everything was great until the 5th day. That morning, he developed a white-ish discharge from the nose and eyes...He still was taking his bottle just fine, but started having rattly breathing, too. We started him on Nuflor and probiotics immedietaly for the next 5 days... granted, the temperature dropped about 30 degrees when he was about 3 days old... ugh...stupid weather anyways...

(Another thought that I have that I will just put out there...... this kid got colostrum from his mom who is an old gal, so it should be GOOD colostrum.... however, I was just thinking about all of that....-His mom's colostrum would give him immunity to junk that is on the farm where he was born, and not necessarily to junk that might be lurking on OUR farm...right? So, although his mom is an 8 year-old lady, and has great colostrum, it might not mean much because he is now on a NEW farm, with totally DIFFERENT bugs.......so her colostrum might not be as effective here on OUR farm, right? ACK! POOR JOE!)

Well, we finished the Nuflor and probiotics treatment yesterday... His appetite during the Nuflor treatment, was kind of on and off, (but mostly on,) although yesterday, -the 5th day and last day of treatment,-he seemed WONDERFUL! Drank his bottles well, played and was energetic, acting like any healthy, goofy little baby goat, that does flips and falls down alot, etc.... (Stool has been fine, etc.) We thought that we got him through the worst of whatever is ailing him...
    I know that suppressed appetite is a side-effect of Nuflor, and am hoping that is all that is going on here. There has been no runny stool or anything.. all seems normal. Yesterday, the temperature here approached 90, and it was VERY humid...

Then a front came thru overnight, with alot of wind from Ike, (and we have been without power since yesterday-gotta LOVE that generator. That is how I am on here now....) and it is only 60 degrees here today, and still VERY windy... And so, this guy has gone thru some MAJOR temp. changes as well as farm and life-changes! (Poor little honey.)

Altho he seemed to be GREAT yesterday, today is a different story.

He is, and has been, in a draft-free, though airy clean pen...-one of our kidding pens. I am just trying to provide as much info. as possible for you...his navel and joints seem fine.. temp has steadily been running about 102....)

But, this morning, he seemed a bit dumpy, compared... That sent up a BIG RED FLAG for me!

He no longer has any discharge from his eyes or nose, and the rattly breathing is about gone... (still a touch of it, but hardly any at all, and when he DOES have it, it is after drinking some of his bottle, and so I am not too concerned about that right now.)

Anyway, this morning, "Joe" was not real excited to see his bottle, or me, (when he is usually hollering for me and his bottle, and jumps up on me when I go into his pen.)-This morning, he just laid there, until I went in and squatted down in his pen, and talked to him for a while, and then he finally got up and wandered slowly over and bumped a little, but not much, and then wandered away... it was weird.. We have NEVER had a newborn NOT be excited about a bottle.....) He only drank a few ounces... (about 4, instead of about 12, and that was only after I held him and forced the nipple into his mouth.) He was NOT a happy camper.

I tried again after a couple of hours, and he wanted nothing to do with the bottle again. Ugh. And so, I took him out into the sunshine, and he hopped around, nibbled at grass, and acted fine... I thought that maybe running and playing might stimulate his appetite.... NOPE! Although he nibbled at the grass and clover and chewed a piece of it for about 20 minutes, he STILL did not want the bottle... And so, we tried a different nipple, and then different goat milk... just in case he did not "like" the milk he was getting...(I tasted the milk, and it was fine.. did not taste any different to ME, but I thought he just might be pickier than I am, and so offered him different goat milk. It did not hurt.. figured I would try....) It did not matter. :( He is still not wanting to drink.. Altho his sides look a little sunken in, his belly is not empty... He is NOT dehydrated..........yet.

This little guy is only 11 days old, and WAS taking 40 or more ounces of milk a day... Today, he took about 15 ounces so far... He LOOKS great...still.. but I am worried about him.........Do ya think it is just the side-effects from the Nuflor causing this, or something else? Temp. is still 102... started him on .5 cc B-Complex today....(navel and joints seem fine as well...) I just cannot seem to pin-point what is wrong, though I am convinced that SOMETHING is not quite right with this little guy. I have bottle-raised enough baby goats to know when something is not quite right.....I have been researching.. and am tempted to give him cd anti-toxin, tho I HATE to give it to him if he does not need it........... and so, I have come to YOU folks.........
    Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    ~Sally

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Did he poo normally today?? could he be stopped up ?? maybe a enema is in order. tad of banamine?

3. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

I do have Banamine, tho he does not seem to be in any pain... so have not given him any... he has been pooping and peeing just fine too.......... I COULD give him a little Banamine and see if he does better.... I suppose..... he does not seem to be "too bad..." just off a bit, -just enuff to make us worry about him.....and I do not know why, as I cannot pinpoint any specific problem... ...........he took about 6 ounces of his bottle tonight... so that makes his total about 21 ounces for today... is that enough?
    thanks in advance........

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

What about some fortified B 12 ???that would increase his appetite and with the Nuflor he needs the thiamine...that is what my vet told me when I treated 1 with Nuflor...This is what I give them or Banamine to kinda jump-start the apetite or maybe some Probios. I hope he gets better soon.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep I too always give B Vitamins when giving antibiotics

6. Theresa

Theresa New Member

What about putting a little baking soda in his bottle? He might have an upset stomach and it hurts for him to eat.
    Theresa

7. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Could you bring him inside for a day or two, and play with him and feed him whenever he looks hungry? If he's just one little goat, he may be a bit depressed from being alone. I gave a doe kid to our neighbors, and she was fine while someone was playing with her or she was inside, but was extremely depressed and hollered constantly when put into her pen outside all alone. She did not eat well, and is still smaller than her sister. (They gave her back to me because they felt sorry for her.)
    Also, the banamine did seem to help stimulate appetite the couple of times we had goats off feed due to infection.
    I wish you luck.
    Anita

8. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Thanks folks!
    This morning, little Joe seemed to be great again, and took 11 ounces of milk for breakfast. He was bouncing and playing and seems fine. I will keep all of your suggestions in mind, in case this should happen again. I will keep up with the B-complex and probiotics for a few more days.. I will give him some Banamine if he seems "off" again, as well. I have been wondering about the lonely factor, though he IS in the barn with the others, he is separated, but he can see them.
    Thanks again for the suggestions. :)

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

put a little BS in his bottle as this really helps I do it with all mine. yep any loners are in the house with me.:)

10. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Boer kids like to be warm, if it's getting cold in NY ,then he may need a lamp on him or a lil sweater. Boer babies can sleep for long periods of time when they are warm .