Sick Goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by slw1, Apr 3, 2008.

1. slw1

slw1 New Member

We have recently purchased a 2 year old nubian buck. Since we brought him home he got a bad cough, diarrhea, and after a week a spot on his upper lip started to swell. Has anyone ever heard of this? I called 3 vets none was any help.
    Thanks Slw1

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well your poll is not set up correct so don't know how to vote but NOPE have never had a goat with a swollen lip exept one who cut her lip.

3. slw1

slw1 New Member

I'm sorry we don't know what the poll thing is. We are knew to this. What does option 1 and option 2 mean?
    Would you start him on penecillin for the bad cough? how much? how often?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Have you taken his temp?: did you worm him?? if so what is his temp and what with
    I never use antibiotics unless a temp

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Many things can cause a caugh dust /mold/ lung worms/ amonia build up in stalls

6. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

No coughs, etc, but for a couple weeks one of my little bucklings this year had a swollen upper lip. Looked like Bart Simpson's grandpa :). I figured he must have gotten something stuck in it and irritated it since he had just started nibbling on hay. It went down on it's own.
    Kathy

7. slw1

slw1 New Member

I have not taken his temperature. What is the best way to do it. And I have not wormed him since we got him. I will tomorrow but
    I didn't think it was that since when we first got him (2 weeks ago) he did not have diarrhea. I thought maybe it was from the stress
    of moving him but the cough won't go away. None of my other goats have ever had a cough like this. Somebody told me there was
    something called shipping fever, what's that?

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I take a goat's temp rectally with a digital thermometer. If he will fit on your milk stand, that will make it easier to do. If not it will be easier for you to do if someone holds him for you. I'm not sure the three things going on with him are the same illness, but could have been brought on from the stress of the move. Diarreah is usually caused by a feed change. Stress can bring on worms and respiritory problems. As for the swollen lip, it could be an insect bite or allergy. My friend's Alpine doe has a swollen nose. It looks like it might be a spider bite. Kathie