Sick Goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ruth, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ruth

ruth New Member

Greetings!

We just found your site on line when I was looking for some advice on a 2 year old dairy goat. We got her about 10 days ago where she was a part of a herd. We have only 4 goats including her, and she is the oldest (the others are 8 weeks and about 4 months). Shes a Saanen, Alpine, Toggenburg mix. Before she left her old place she was wormed. Since then she has not been that interested in food. We are thinking that there are two factors, one is our feed store just changed feeds and we're not impressed with the new stuff. The other factor would be being separated from her group. We are new to this tricky land of goats and lost a few goats to worms so we're a little nervous. We could use some help. Her pooping is fine, nothing funny about it. She did grind her teeth for a few days but we haven't heard that since. And it appears that she is interested in foraging not in the grain that we're giving. Is it possible for a goat just to go off food when adjusting to a new stressful situation (we do have some commotion with a baby, a cat, and a few border collies)? Could we give her a probiotic like primal defense?

If you need information about us, we're just new homesteaders on the Big Island of Hawai'i. We have one Saanen and the other three are mixes of dairy goats.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Peace

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Welcome to the forum!!!

What kind of wormer was used and the dose? That's a good place to start. Since you are about as tropical as it gets!
    Kaye

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Yep they can go "off" As Kaye said wormer would be a good start to know what kind. Is she UTD on shots . Unless it is someone I trust 100% I will reworm and revaccinate them when I get them home. Better safe than sorry .

OK now for feed . Are you feeding a prepared pellet ? Is she in milk or bred ? The grain mix I feed my milkers growing babies and those who are 100 days bred is

4 parts oats , 1 part corn and a little calf manna. I was also using Boss until prices went nuts. Alfalfa pellets may be a good place to start . They are great for growing babys , bred girls and milkers . I feed these every day along with free choice hay.

Do you have a good mineral mix out ? Fresh clean water ?

And by the way it is not nice to put you live in Hawaii since we are in the middle of a lake effect snow storm .{smile}

Patty

4. ruth

ruth New Member

We watched the doe be dewormed when we picked her up. We did a CD/T booster when we got her to the land (thats all we are doing in terms of vaccinations). We are using Hoeggers herbal dewormer with our young Saanen and will start the new goats on it in a few weeks. I am not sure what wormer it was exactly, but it was one of the heavy duty ones. We did give her 1 probiotic and she's more enthusiastic about the new grain we got (we were using pellets but this new one is a mixture livestock feed from Nutrena). We only fed her a little bit. They have free feed of the vegetation here, mostly native ferns, bushes, and trees but she was coming from pasture.

We are from the East Coast and we don't really miss the winters all that much. Rainy. With an extreme low of 55 is the worst weather we get- though it will rain for a month straight.

Thanks and Peace
    Ruth

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well be careful with herbal wormers as I don't think they will work in your area do fecal's regularly and stay on top of it. Also watch out for ferns some are poison to goats. Get some alfalfa pellets as if she is not in milk right now alfalfa is all she needs for now.

6. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I'd give her some time to adjust to her new surroundings and the new grain. probiotic wouldn't hurt either. do you know the selenium levels in your area? what's her age?
    and welcome to the forum!! :D
    -Melissa

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

You need to do a search on Haemonchus contortus. This is going to be your biggest parasite worry. Herbal dewormers will not touch this parasite. We've (southern states) even have had to resort back to levamisole to help control this blood sucking worm. With your humidity, tropical environment, and no freezes...you are even more susceptible to it.

Coccidia is going to be a problem in your kids.

You need to read some of our posts in Goat Keeping 101 on worming,parasites, and coccidia prevention. Quite a few of us are in the southern states and we get colder and not quite as humid, as you stay year round. You're even further south and in a tropical climate...you're goats are at a greater risk than even ours.
    Kaye

8. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Hi Ruth :D

I'll add that because you are in a tropical environment, you might want to look at their hooves more frequently. During the wet months, mine require much more care and trimming and are hard to stay on top of. Also, if you can provide a place for them to stand on like rocks or wooden planks, they will have less chance of thrush or hoof rot.

9. ellie

ellie New Member

Sue Reith wrote an article on some details of worming that I think most goat owners overlook. I used it with permission in my book, and was hoping I could give you a reference on Saanendoah.com, but it doesn't appear to be there. I think Sue is going to put out her own book eventually. So I will summarize:

All the meds used for worming kill ONLY ADULT worms. Meanwhile there are all those eggs happily going about their life cycle in your goat. They hatch. If there were a lot of them (duh, why you use a fecal to tell you when to worm) within 21 days your goat is as infested as before you wormed.

What's the solution? Worm, worm again in 10 days and worm again in 10 days! I have 2 soapboxes with goat management...minerals (for immune function) and worming at 10 day intervals. Thes two strategies alone can boost your profitability and decrease your stress (also the goat's stresses).

Best wishes!

Ellie