Sick goat need help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, May 10, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hi all,

I have a doe that freshened on May 3rd, triplets no complications, when in to check to make sure no more babies. She had been eating fine and acting fine. This morning she came in to be milked and obvisously didn't feel well, nasty diarrhea, but she was still rumenating, I figure she ate too much alfalfa hay which I have been giving in small quantities until DD decided to give a wee bit too much, ok all other goats are fine. She had her CD&T on time. Now this afternoon she is passing some light pink tissue but I think it is coming from her vulva b/c she cleans it up but she still has diarrhea, no fever and does not fill well at all.

What can I do for her?
    TIA,
    Autumn

2. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Her temp would tell us if she was going into a milk fever episode. Can you get a temp reading?

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

The alfalfa my be too hot/rich Did you worm her day of freshening?? yes a temp on her. please

4. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I am guessing she had not cleaned out properly. I went in to flush her and her cervix is still wide open. The nasty tissue is coming from there, it doesn't smell necrotic but it isn't pleasant either. So I gave banamine, penicillin, and I flushed her with LA 200 and sterile water. Yes I did worm her good day of freshening. Normal temp. Last I checked but I will check again soon
    Autumn

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Autum pm Kaye on this she may need oxytocin to clean her out or something else done. Seems like a long time after freshening to me for her to still be open.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Oxytocin sure wouldn't hurt to get that uterus contracted down and also help to push out any remaining funk.
    Kaye

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

In an earlier post regarding the use of oxy Vicki said this