Sick Goat- Need Advice Pronto

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Aja-Sammati, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

This situation is awkward, as the goat is at the fair, and they are not going to want me to pull her.

My daughter called just now- 8am. Her doe is only picking at her grain, not much milk, temp 104, has a swelling near her throat/jaw area (they empasized that it is NOT an abscess) like she has been stung by a bee or something. I am headed down with the trailer and a bag of drugs...other than banamine, what do I give her? Do I pull out the dex or start antibiotics? I am leaving in 30 minutes...hopefully someone is on that can throw out advice in that time :lol

Thanks!

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I have used Benedryl for stings before and it works really well. But I will let someone with more information and experience chime in..

So sorry this happened,
    Autumn

3. Terry

Terry Member

Dosage for benedryl from Goat Keeping 101.

Benedryl (Diphenhydramine HCI), also sold under misc brand names.
    NOT FOR ACUTE ANAPHYLACTIC ALLERGIC REACTION, as this is a true emergency situation and there is no time allowed for the oral antihistamine to be ingested and take effect.
    DOSE : 5 ml (teaspoon) for very young kids to 15-20ml to adults animals for treatment of mild allergic reaction to bite/sting, medication.
    Also as nasal decongestant and cough medication..
    Will counteract the slower form of allergic and histamine reaction which takes place sometime in the 24hr period after severe stress or injection of something to which the goat is allergic.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I also would give benedryl and banamine. I give benedryl at people dosages...so 3 for an adult. Then if you continue using it 1 or 2.

I would watch the temp and take the temp of someone else in the barn, here 103 is nothing, but 104 is the start of something. And don't think for one minute you can not get your goat off the fair grounds, do not leave her there if the banamine doesn't bring the fever down and she isn't 100% in a few hours. You just sign some papers and leave. I also would not take advice from a vet you do not know. Vicki

5. Aja-Sammati

Thanks Vicki and everyone else, too! I am taking the mouth speculum so I can see if she has something stuck in there, too. Unfortunately my vet flew out of town this morning, so hopefully my back-up is available if I need her. I'll check the temps of my other goats when I get there

Later!

6. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

How did it go? She okay?

7. I have brought sick goats home from fairs before.......the does had allergic reactions to the bedding at the show and got sick. We weren't supposed to leave but my does health is more important than the fair rules!
    And ditto on the Benedryl and Banamine.
    Becky

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH here is hoping all is OK keep us posted when you get back

9. Belle

Belle New Member

I hope she is okay!

10. Aja-Sammati

She is home, they had a vet checking her by the time I got there so she could be released. She has a badly swollen lymph node, and some kind of abrasion inside her upper throat. Temp was 105.1 when I got there. I gave her banamine & Excenel and we got her wet to try to cool her down before I brought her home. Other goats' temps were 102.4...I left with her when her temp was 103.1. By the time I got home (1 hour trip) her temp was back up to 107.1 :shocked We soaked her again, alcoholed her ears, armpits, under her tail, and her hooves. It came down to 106.2. We soaked her & alcoholed again. By the time we milked her out a few minutes ago, her temp was down to 102.4 :D Now we will check it every hour to make sure it stays down. My poor daughter- Maybellene is her showmanship doe, and actually had a chance to show well in the 4H show. I just hope that she recovers fully, and soon!

11. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Hope she gets better soon. Sorry for your daughter. Mine definately has her favorite for showmanship and it throws her for a loop if she has to use another doe.

Leslie

12. Belle

Belle New Member

Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery.

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I wouldn't milk her out anymore until you figure out what is going on, you want her to have that milk in that udder, not full of course.

That's super high, bacterial high...blister beetle alfalfa hay high, poisioning high. Could something caustic have caused the abrasion in her throat? I would start supporting her liver right now, I would call your vet and tell them it is very likely your doe was given something caustic at the fair??? Vicki

14. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Hope all is well soon. It is a good thing you got there when you did. Scary.

Kim

15. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Wishing you the best.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh I do hope that is not the case (something caustic given at the show) How sad.
    Hope she recovers for you.

17. mpete

mpete New Member

oh Michelle, I am so sorry... give me a call if I can help in any way...

18. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

How is your girl now? I hope she is feeling better!

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Would like an update on this girl PLEASE!! :) Hope she is doing better.

20. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Oh Gosh ! This is tragic and I am biting my nails wondering how she is doing... :(