Sick Goat Kid Need Help (posted for someone new)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by NubianSoaps.com, Mar 28, 2008.

1. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sorry I am too busy to help today, could you all answer her while she reads this and joins the forum? Thanks! Vicki

I have a 6 day old nubian doe she was given to us in very bad health. We've been bottle feeding her and got her better until today had to tube feed her and her temp has dropped to 96 she's been on pencillin and now i have her wrapped in heating pad. What else can i do?????? Please HELP Thanks Shanna

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Shannon it is imparative to get her temp up then either get her to eat or tube feed her. Milk only as she needs milk NO REPLACERS either goats milk or Vit D milk. has she pooped if not give an enema a little tad of banamine for pain

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

another thought is floppy kid here so some baking soda might be in order.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Shanna,
    Are you able to post yet?
    Need some history. Why are you giving Penn-G? Has this kid had colostrum? Where are you at?
    For now....get the temp up before you try to put anything in the stomach. Same as Sondra,said.
    Has she had scours?

So many questions before an answer...but need to know?
    Kaye

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Shanna
    If you have signed up please let one of us moderators know who you are or your sign in name
    Since Vicki is busy she may not get on to admit you so email Blissberry(Sara) Kaye , or myself so one of us can admit you.

6. slw1

slw1 New Member

Hello my name is Shanna Vicki posted me earlier with the (SICK GOAT) 6 day old nubian.( I am just now able to respond i was waiting for them to set my account up) Thank you for answer my questions. I'm very sad to say she past away in my arms I tried everything i new to do but maybe was just out of my hands. I'm not sure what was wrong we got her 4 days ago someone gave her to us not in very good shape but i had to try she got better but never really held her head high kind of hunched over but got her to take a bottle. But when woke up to feed her she wouldn't eat had to tube feed and never got better. We are very sad never lost a baby before. Thanks for everything looking forward to talking to you guys.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh am sorry Shanna don't blame yourself on this sometimes we just can't help them and getting them in sad shape to begin with didn't help in this case. Nice to have you here. Please put your location /and sign your name in your profile signature. It helps us to help you depending on the area your in sometimes.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Shanna,
    Sooo sorry. Like Sondra said...comprimised babies are really hard to bring around when they start out with problems.

Welcome to the forum, even if under difficult situations.
    Kaye

9. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:sniffle Shanna so sorry for you loss...I live in Kansas and looks like you are a neighbor...I am in the SW corner... Welcome to the forum.

10. slw1

slw1 New Member

Thanks everybody!!!! Please let me know if i'm doing something wrong with this forum. I'm NEW and not sure what i'm doing. Well we are getting are first milking goat today Very excited!!! Again Thanks to everyone

:D
    Shanna Wilder (slw1)
    Nubian,Kinder,& Boar

11. rrziga

rrziga New Member

Sorry to hear your loss, it's never easy. I live in leavenworth county. How far away are you from me?

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Welcome Shanna, sorry you lost the kid. Vicki

13. mpete

mpete New Member

Hi Shanna!! What kind of milker are you getting? Congrats!!
    I am sorry that you lost the little one....