sick goat HELP

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

1` year old FF due July 3rd.

swollen eye , congested , weak, mucous/foam around the mouth.

I gave her 3cc bo-se
    3 cc vit b
    6 cc pen

will give her calcuim next just in case with the weakness. She has been out to pasture and grain with the other girls . Just noticed she was off this a.m

What am I missing ?

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Could she have eaten a poisonous weed or gotten into something?

Sara

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Same pasture they have been in for a few years.

I looked again and seems like mucous from coughing maybe. I know she spit out some mucous with grain.

For respiratory what antibiotic will hit the infection hard ? I will be calling the vet to get it .

4. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Nuflor or Naxel,
    Nuflor is expensive but worth it... I went to a show recently and my goats picked up a bug and brought it home and it got everyone.. I went to vet to Nuflor yesterday and in most the mucus and coughing has stopped already.. but always continue with treatment.. I would give her some probios also or Kefir..
    Barbara

5. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Take temp of other goats in your herd to see if this is low.. seems just a little low.. but I would compare first..
    High temps usually mean infections
    Low temps, mean something metabolic is going on.. hypocalemica.. milk fever etc...
    Barbara

6. susie

susie New Member

Could she have gotten stung by a bee or bit by a spider? Having an allergic reaction or ate something weird?

Susie

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

OK I have given her cmpk plus nutradrench . Sub Q fluids because she did not pee much. Wish I felt 100 % to just set up the IV.

Possible but I do not she has been bitten. I have epi on hand just incase

Patty

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

bet she will get better with continued use of CMPK is she drinking water?

9. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I have not seen her drink. I put some koolaide out and syringed some in her mouth to temp her . I will continue with sub q fluids.

Patty

Thanks

10. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

temp 101.1 gave 40 cc cmpk injectable {warm} last dosage was oral.

I should continue every 2 hours til she is acting normal then go to every 6 correct ?

Patty

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would continue for awhile but with the swollen eye I would give her 3 adult benedryl and some banamine...none of which will hurt the pregnancy and see if this helps.

Think about it...your eyes swell, you are having problems breathing so much that you throw up mucous...it's an allergic reaction to something...she got stung I bet or put her face into a snake, it happens every year here. Do the benedryl now, bet in 20 mintues she is breathing better already and the swelling will go down in the eye...repeat every 4 hours until she is 100%. None of what you are doing is hurting I just don't think it's metobolic.

Oh and next time leave your phone number!!! Vicki

12. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Maybe it was a bit of both. I did not give benadryl . Her temp has come up and after second treatment of cmpk she started to eat .

The eye was not swollen enough for me to think bug bite it is kinda like a sinus looking swelling with a bit of tearing.

So for now I will continue cmpk and if she looks like she needs benadryl I will. I think I will continue on antibiotics also.

Should I be giving her dex incase we need to take the baby early , its kicking and moving fine now. If so how much?

Can you tell I never have had this before ????? And hope to never again.

I did not want you using your dime for a phone call .Thanks <

Patty