Sick doeling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kalne, May 4, 2008.

  1. Kalne

    Kalne New Member

    2,421
    0
    0
    History...about 1.5 weeks ago we had 4 kids that seemed to get scours. We had just upped their milk and figured it was too much (though we've never had a reaction like this before). So we cut the milk back to previous amount. All seemed okay for the next couple days. Then 2 went back to having scours and started eating less and less. They would act hungry and take their bottles and suck a little then stop. Nibble on hay. One was worse than the other. We gave both electrolytes.

    THe one that was worse we started on BioSol for 3 days and saw no change. 3rd day was Friday. Temp was 101.5 but her mouth felt cold. She was acting okay. Today she was lying down a lot and obviously not well. We tried giving Aureomycin and electrolytes and she died shortly after. (Horrible thought but maybe we got it in her lungs? Have given plenty of fluids in the mouth but it is possible, right?) But there was definitely something wrong right after we gave the Aureo.

    So now we still have the sick sister (she's 11 weeks old). Today we gave her Benamine and Bo-Se. Her temp is 104. She *acts* okay. But not eating nearly enough and still soft poos. Thoughts?
     
  2. NubianSoaps.com

    NubianSoaps.com New Member

    16,497
    4
    0
    We can all guess, or you can take a fecal in and find out.

    Biosol and aueromycin, neither treat cocci or worms. If you have scours it's 99% of the time cocci or worms. The other 1% is ecoli, giardia, or one of the other 50 or so kid diarrhea bugs.

    The kids are older so giving other liquids orally with the milk is fine, they are cudding. Sadly most kids who have scours die from simple dehydration, they aren't bringing in or absorbing fluids anymore.

    I would put the kid on corid or a sulfa, a sulfa also gives you treatment for bacterial scours.

    I use prevention, a very strict schedule on my kids, so that when they do get scours I know it's from too much milk, or one of those 1% things which means the vet. Vicki
     

  3. Kalne

    Kalne New Member

    2,421
    0
    0
    Will we be able to get either of those from our vet tomorrow? Dh tried locally yesterday a.m. but none of the feed/farm stores had it.
     
  4. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    vet should have albon or corid
     
  5. NubianSoaps.com

    NubianSoaps.com New Member

    16,497
    4
    0
    When you get time, get some basic meds to have on hand. Wormer, corid now in pints etc. from Jefferspet.com Your vet will have the drugs but will terribly underdose them for you. If you get the Corid, lie and tell them you have several kids you want to treat at home so you come home with a pint. Then give it at 6.25cc per 25 pounds, since they aren't drinking milk right now very sell, just mix put the amount they need in a 10cc syringe, and fill the syringe the rest of the way up with Kero or snow cone syrup, and give. 5 days. Also banamine, 1cc per 100 pounds and give it everyday for 6 days. So ask for 10cc so you can keep it on hand.

    Also ask if he carries die-are-saw-nal it's a paste you give, it worked wonders last year for the epidemic of cocci and worm problems.

    But do order your own Cydectin to worm these kids and your goats in general. vicki
     
  6. Kalne

    Kalne New Member

    2,421
    0
    0
    Thank you! My vet is pretty good at giving me most what I ask for. I'll be calling him first thing in the a.m.
     
  7. Kalne

    Kalne New Member

    2,421
    0
    0
    Well, she ate much better this a.m. Was able to get corid today. Didn't even talk to the vet...just the receptionist. I could have gotten a gallon but told her a pint would be plenty. LOL