Sick doeling ? UPDATE ....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Jul 17, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, this all started with my buckling i got in May - a few days after transporting him home he got a cough, never was off other then that, never a temp - however i've tried a few things to clear it up, and it went away on and off - now it's back again, and sometimes his breathing is bad as well - meaning he breaths fast and somewhat labored - i have been working with my vet via phone about him. and now i have him coming out on Monday - he was supposed to be here last monday, but had to cancel.

Now for the last couple of weeks i've heard other doelings cough on and off, not really a big deal though, mostly at feeding time when they were all over each other and only a few times.

Npw my favorite little girl has been coughing more and more the last 2 days - when she stands, when she runs, ect. She doesn't act off at all besides coughing. I felt her ears tonight, them seemed warmer then everybody elses, so i took her temp - 103.7 - everybody else in the herd averages 101.8-102.3. I've put some vetRX on her and came in to type this. All kids were just wormed and cocci treatments done.

Will she be ok without anything else till the vet gets here on Monday ? Should i do something else till then ? What should i see my vet do/give on Monday ? Anything i should bring up/reccomend to him ?

Thanks !

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Re: Sick doeling ?

See if he knows a lab that can run the bareman test for lungworm. I would bet your new goat brought this to you. Even though you may not have snails or slugs to keep this thing going, he has now coughed this onto your soil and onto his herdmates.

The old tramisole sheep oblets work well on this as does the Prohibit Drench Powder. Ivermectin does lungworm also as does Valbazen. Vicki

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks Vicki - now that you say lung worms, it would make sense that they don't act sick, but have a hard time breathing/caughing, and with my vet and earlier advice from posting about my buckling, we have tried things that would have cleared this up had it been an illness ( other then a virus ).

We do have lots of slugs this year, it's been quite a raining year for us, and if i leave a bucket outside the next morning there are at least 1-2 slugs on it. Also, my buckling came from the bottom of MN, where they may have more lung worms, but even up here in northern MN ( i'm on the boarder of MN in WI - Duluth/Superior ) were my vet is from, has said he has seen them in other herds there. Plus now my favorite doeling whom sounds like crap too, she came from WA. They were just wormed with reg. 1% ivermectin at 1 cc. per 50lbs - but maybe something stronger will be needed.

I will surely bring this up with my vet. Either way, you think they will be fine till Monday ? Thanks !

4. NubianSoaps.com

Yes. Even if your vet simply says to reworm, press them to see if you can find a lab that runs the Baerman..I would really want to know up there if lungworm and liverfluke is a problem or not, that way you aren't using meds needlessly. Because if it isn't lungworm or liverfluke, or another worm you have not gotten under control (does in poor health can have coughs and you really can't see they are in poor health for awhile until they simply start looking unthrifty or scruffy). Vicki

5. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

I've heard of the Baerman test. Is that not something someone with a microscope and a few instructions could do? :???

6. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks Vicki - my vet is very good about learning about goats and listening to my concerns and suggestions that i get from all of you :+) What is the Baerman test ? Is it pronounced bear-man ?

If it turns out not to be parasites, what else could i be dealing with ?

Thanks again !

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

NO normal testing doesn't work it is done with a centrafuge I think it is called and even alot of vets don't do the test they send it off.

8. smithsfarm

smithsfarm Guest

I've seen on a few posts now suggesting Ivomec for worms. Which Ivomec should you use. There is swine and cattle and paste. So which one should you use on goats and in what dosage. Also is there a milk withdraw when using Ivomec.

9. NubianSoaps.com

This time of year when you are dealing with blood sucking worms that kill goats, you simply have to use wormers that a breeder is using in your area with success (and fecals to know it) or you have to fecal, worm and then fecal in 7 to 10 days to see if it works. Ivermectin does not get blood sucking worms here. Vicki

10. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, so the vet came and looked at my buckling and doelings. Temps were all good, and he said lungs sounded OK. He said lung worms could be a possiblity, so worm with valbazon ??? I will be getting some from him, however, i'm really not sure if he will give me the recomended dose, or the real dose ( what is the dose you all use, and is this really the right wormer ? ). If that doesn't clear it up, since penn. and biomycin has already been used, we will give them nuflor (sp?). I did bring up the baerman test, but he kinda blew it off ( first time he has done this ), but did say if they cough something up to save it and bring it in.

How does this sound - does it sound like the right thing to do ? Thanks !

11. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

hmmmm....I think you should still pressure him to do the baerman test. Even if he doesn't think it could be lungworms it should be completely ruled out. I hate it when vets don't do everything they can. I am lucky enough to be surrounded by several different vets. If I don't like what one says I go to a different one. If you have this option I would see what another vet says.

12. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

There is not other vets that i will go to, i'm sure i may be able to pressure him more into it, but he wants to treat for it first. He did say i should try to collect anything they cough up and bring it in for testing - he said something about the cells in the mucus and lung worms ??? Could this be that test ? Or what kind of a sample do you need for a baerman test ? Thanks !

13. NubianSoaps.com

You use Valbazen at 1cc per 10 pounds and give orally. Valbazen also does liveflukes and tapes, that's about it. All the Ivermectins also get lungworm and you can use them for your winter wormings also.

Do you have a lab, like we have PAVL in which you can call and see if they do the Bareman for lungworm? Then just see if they allow you to send in your own fecal material. I would never buy wormer from a vet, it is too expensive. So in buying the whole bottle of Ivermectin (which I use for heartworm on my dogs also) or Valbazen, which I buy to worm infant kids with and my milkers who are going to shows so they don't show tapes in their poop) than the cost of the test is lower than me buying wormer needlessly that I wouldn't use. Plus for me, that way I just know.

IF you need a wormer anyway, and surely if your vet sees livestock at all, he would have said...yes so and so with her such and such has had problems with lungworm also...so it would tell you that yes you should use a wormer like Ivermectin that will also do lungworm as you go after other stomach worms you have. It also can tell you that no your goats don't have lungworm so these kids likely had cocci or pnemonia previously and their lungs are scarred or they are unthrifty from scar tissue in their intestines (remember your intestines is where nearly all your immunity comes from) so if there is something wrong, you catch everything. That way you can stop treating.

I would give them bo-se, perhaps B vitmain shots, even feeding Diamond V Yeast daily to see if you can bolster that immune system.

Next years kids make sure they recieve colostrum from any of your does who do not cough like this and who have lived on your place the longest. Vicki

14. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks Vicki :+)

He did say that he has run into a few farms that have had lung worms - so it is possible. I don't know of any labs her in WI that i could call for a baerman test - any ideas on where to look for one ?

I do worm with ivermectin 1% - which fecals are still showing works for me. I just wormed everybody 1 1/2 weeks ago with it as well - so that should have taken care of the lungworms had there been any right ? They also had their cocci treatments done ( 1st round ), but i didn't know to start right away, so they were 2 1/2 -3 months old already.

I'm just not so sure if this is worms, especially if i already used ivermectin. There lungs did sound good, but they do cough ( and it doesn't sound nice when they do ), and a 2 out of the 3 ( these are the only 3 kids i bought this year ) will sometimes have some crusties on their noses. When i am down by them kneeling, it sounds like they have stuffy noses as well. And when it is hot out my buckling will sometimes show labored breathing, it's fast and his eyes are big, but he will still eat and all, and this only happens when he is hot - nobody else has done this, and he was the first to show signs of illness about 3-4 weeks before anybody else.

I'm feeling at a loss. Thanks !