Sick doeling, looks like polio

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Dec 15, 2007.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Colette is sick tonite. I recently moved her from the kid pen to the main goat yard to make room for the next group of doelings to be with the buckling. She's the doeling who had diarreah for a couple of days while she was still in the baby pen and recovered quickly form that. She was upset over the move and cried, but seemed to be setttling in. This morning, I noticed she seemed a little fuzzed up, but she joined the other goats when I fed the grain. Tonite she stumbled and partially fell into the water tub and got herself up right away,but I questioned her eye sight. She also didn't come to feed.I had quite a time getting her into the garage to check her out. She usually leads well, but is very uncoordinated. Temperature is 102.8, no scours, she is stargazing and walks into things. I gave 5cc thiamin, 4.5 cc Biomycin and 1cc Banamine. Will leave her in the garage (it's lighted with a dirt floor) for the time being to check on her. Anything else I should be doing for her. She's probably pregnant.

2. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Could your doe have "pregnancy toxemia" ?

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I think she's in too early pregnancy to be toxemia or hypocalcemia. She would only be a little over a month along. She has begun to respond to treatment. A couple hours ago, I was able to get her back to her pen with less difficulty and she has been nibbling on hay when it is offered. Her coordination is better and no longer standing funny and stargazing as noticibly. She was sleeping when I went down to give the second shot of thiamin. She, again showed interest in hay. I'm not sure how well she is seeing yet but things are improving.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Very good sign it's polio. Keep up the thiamine until she is recovered and then twice a day for a couple days. insurance policy. ;)

Good call.
    Kaye

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

She's doing even better this morning. She came right over when I fed hay and followed the grain bucket when I fed that. She appears able to see now. She's maybe a teensy bit uncoordinated yet, but leads well again. The other goats know she's not 100% and are picking on her. I hand fed her some hay which she eagerly ate. Gave her another dose of thiamin. Goat Medicine says to give it every 6 hours for the first 24 hours.
    Has anyone ever had a bred goat get polio? I'm wondering if this will cause her to reabsorb the pregnancy. I've seen no sign of her aborting. Also, can the babies be affected?

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We had a yearling Boer doe come down with polio, about 1 month after we had purchased her. She had been exposed to a buck before she came home, so she was probaby bred.
    2 weeks into her treatment (she was blind for 2 weeks) she had some bloody discharge on her tail. We assumed that she aborted.
    We bred her the following fall and got two very nice kids.

If your doe aborts, there really is nothing you can do about it. If you don't treat her, you lose doe and kids....it is one of those situations where I figure that it is out of my hands.
    One encouraging thing for you is that your doe responded so quickly to treatment, so perhaps won't have any secondary problems. I would try to put her in a pen where she won't be picked on- perhaps with a laid back goat for company.

Camille

7. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

HOW can I avoid polio / Thiamine problems ?

Is Thiamine a vet prescription only ?

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Thiamin has to be gotten from the vet, at least where I live. That's why it's so important to talk with your vet about selling you a bottle before you have a problem. Since it's a vitamin, I've never had any problems getting it. The best way to avoid polio is no sudden feed changes, but some goats still get it anyway. The only thing different I fed is a different brand of pellets because the store couldn't get the other kind. That hasn't caused any problems before.

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Sounds like you're on the road to recovery. Again, good call.

I had a doe heavy preg., no changes, and still get it. Caught it early and treated, doe delivered twins at due date. You should make a mental note to keep an eye on this doe for return to heat. Not sure how this will impact the preg.
    Kaye