Sick Doe????

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rehoboth Farm, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Rehoboth Farm

Rehoboth Farm New Member

The doe in question is 8 years old. I have had her almost 4 years.
    She kidded last December.
    She was fine yesterday.

This morning when I went out to milk there was not the usual fight between the two does over who gets to be milked first. Instead this goat stood in the shelter. When it was her turn I had to really coax her onto the milk stand. She let me milk her but did not eat one bite.

She is standing in her pen and the only way I know to describe her is that she looks mad.

She has free choice browse/hay/mineral and water.

I give alfalfa pellets with sunflower seeds on the milk stand in the morning and alfalfa pellets in the evening (I only milk once per day).

She does not have diarrea and other then not eating and looking mad I don't see any other symptoms.

Any ideas? It just does not seem normal for a goat not to want to eat.

Thank you,
    SueEllen

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

First off you need to get a temp on her because of what your saying for her feed then just guessing she is way low on calcium. Does in milk here get 3lbs of alfalfa pellets per day ea. and not on the milk stand on the milk stand they get grain.
    Get her temperature and get back to us. Was her milk volumn lower than normal?
    I would give her probios and B Complex to start off with.

3. Rehoboth Farm

Rehoboth Farm New Member

When I say she gets alfalfa on the milk stand I don't mean only on the milk stand......when I am done milking I pour the rest into their feed pan in their shelter. I also give alfalfa in the evenings for a total of about 3 pounds a day. I know that it is very untraditional to not give grain. This is something my DH wants.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK so if she is getting enough alfalfa that is what is the most important. I have often ran out of grain and didn't hurt them a bit. OK is she in heat?? this can cause some does to go off feed for a day or so. but do get a temp on her.

5. Rehoboth Farm

Rehoboth Farm New Member

Okay, I have a thermometer in the goat first aid kit....I checked to make sure it would come on since I had not use it in a long time.....the numbers showed up when I turned it on so I went outside.....I tied her up tried to take her temp and......it will only stay on a short time and shut off!

So I decided to just use the people thermometer and make that the goat one and buy a new one for people but I cannot find it anywhere!

I am gonig to drive the 6 miles to the little grocery store and hope they have a digital thermometer.

She does not seem worse but she still does not seem to be acting right. She is up and walking around (running away from me and my thermometer LOL) but not acting normal for sure.

As to the heat thing.....you would think after 4 years I would be able to tell but I cannot. Once a year I put them with the bucks and they kid...LOL

6. Rehoboth Farm

Rehoboth Farm New Member

There was one and only one thermometer in the whole town. It was a Winnie the Pooh in the clearance bin.

I must not be doing it right or maybe it is old????

The acting completely normal goats temp is 100.1
    The sick goats temp is 100.9

Now I know that this cannot be right because normal is between 102-104 right?.....if it was just the sick goat with a low temp it would be one thing but the cheerful, active, eating like normal goats temp is low too.

I am an hour away from some place bigger to purchase another one.

Any ideas?

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Milk fever or acidosis.
    Either way...the doe not eating needs CMPK, 5-6cc of Fortified B Complex, and probios. 30cc of the CMPK...either orally or injectable. Push the alfalfa pellets and offer grass hay, and cut the grain for 24 hrs. Baking soda will help with acidosis. If she won't eat it...make a drench of 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 10cc of water. Drench her.

With milk fever the doe will not be producing the amount of milk she has been normally giving. Are there kids nursing this doe? If so, seperate them. She needs no drain on her system of calcium. Don't milk her for at least 2 milkings. If she's strutted, chances are it's acidosis. Milk fever does generally don't produce but a little milk when affected.

She's still on her feet.....which is good...but without calcium supplement she will go down.
    Acidosis-she needs to have the ph in her rumen adjusted back to normal and go easy on the grain, B vitamins to get it going, push the grass hay and alfalfa pellets. Grass hay has bicarb in it and works to adjust the ph.
    Kaye

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

any drug store /grocery store/ will have a themom but 100.1 in a healthy goat isn't correct.
    put your finger in her mouth is it cold?? I AGREE WITH kaye

9. Rehoboth Farm

Rehoboth Farm New Member

Like I said above this goat does not get grain so there is no way I can cut it.

She does not have kids with her.

Her production has not dropped.

10. Rehoboth Farm

Rehoboth Farm New Member

Maybe where you live but not here.
    The drug store is closed on Sundays.
    The tiny grocery store had ZERO thermometers.
    The only other store in town a Dollar General had ONLY ONE and it was in the clearance bin I bought it and that is the one I don't think is working right.

I am sure you all know more then I do but I am still not convinced the themometer is right. I felt in both does mouths and also my 3 four month old doelings mouths and they all felt the same. I decided to take the temp of a doeling and it was 100.4. Now I know she does not have milk fever!

Sick doe temp: 100.9
    Well doe temp: 100.1
    4 month old doeling tem: 100.4

The doelings are not in the same pen and have not been in contact with the does since they were born.

Thank you all.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You are right the thermometer is not right.

12. Rehoboth Farm

Rehoboth Farm New Member

New Thermometer was Re: Sick Doe????

Okay my husband works in a larger town (5,000 people instead of the 1500 in the nearest town to me) and he was able to pick up another thermometer on his way home this afternoon.

The "sick" acting does temp was: 101.9
    The non sick acting does temp was: 102.4

There have been no changes as far as I can see. And actually if I did not know that she would not eat this morning and just walked up on the two does I would probably not suspect anything was wrong. Do you think she could have just eaten some weed that did not agree with her? Or is 101.9 still way too low?

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

bet it is going down and this doe needs exactly what Kaye stated above.

14. Rehoboth Farm

Rehoboth Farm New Member

Well when I fed the goats this afternoon my doe came into the shelter and did eat a few bites. Not a lot but at least she ate something. Her temp is now 103 straight up.

15. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Do you have bicarb available to these does? If not, I would put some out. IF it's acidosis then she can correct it with the BS without you having to do the drenching. She's not in trouble, yet, but could get that way.

If you're not going to do the CMPK...then watch this doe very closely for the next few days...your "eye" is telling you somethings not right, and this is how we ward off future problems. Catch it early before they go down.
    I'd STILL give this doe some Fortified B Complex...just for rumen help.
    Kaye

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And this can also be lactation ketosis. Without energy from grain while lactating. How much is she milking? What color are her membrains in her eyes? Are her feet in good shape?

Since your husband won't let you (we won't even go there) feed grain and will let you feed her sunflower seeds, I would start increasing the amount of sunflower seeds you give her up to a pound per milking. It's a good amount of fat, so slowly add 1/4 cup every couple of days, if you see any loose stools, than go back down to the previous 1/4 cup. There is pretty good energy in BOSS so perhaps this would help. What else are you allowed to feed her?

When was she wormed last and with what and how much?
    How is the quality of your hay after our wet winter and early spring? Is there any mold? Vicki

17. Rehoboth Farm

Rehoboth Farm New Member

I know it is weird and unconvential to not give grain. It is not my idea. However, in defense of my husband he did not make this choice out of meanness or not wanting to spend the money. He did some reading that says that when ruminants eat grain it cancels out the cancer-fighting properties of the milk. Nothing changes in the fact that we still don't give our goats grain and you all don't agree but I felt like some how if you knew his motive you would not think as badly of him.

Our goats have clean fresh hay, fresh water, goat minerals, sodium bicarb (this is new), browse and pretty much all the alfalfa pellets they want.....they eat more when they are in milk and I just keep gradually increasing until they start leaving it and then back up a bit. They have been recently wormed, their eyelids are pink and their hooves are fine.

The doe that refused to eat yesterday morning was very frisky today and chasing the other doe around. She acted completely normal and could not wait to get her alfalfa this morning.

I do appreciate everyone's advice and thank you all for the time you have spent.